This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hangs at shutdown

Regular 386 install of Dapper with Nvidia drivers installed (using Adept) and working great. (Went very well, BTW ) When I select "end session" or "shutdown" or "reboot" I hear the KDE shutdown noise and the screen goes black and I have to manually hit the switch to power down. I don't believe I had this issue before I got the Nvidia stuff going.

If you need me to provide any other info, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
    -quigonjim

Re: Hangs at shutdown

I'll add a little (hopefully usefull) info. When installing the Nvidia drivers I had an error with nvidia-glx-enable, so I manually edited xorg.conf (changing "nv" to "nvidia") to get things working (except for the shutdown). I have this problem in both Ubuntu and Kubuntu Dapper. I didn't have the shutdown problem in this machine with (K)Ubuntu Hoary, and I also don't have the trouble with SUSE (9.1 - 10.1).
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by quigonjim
      I'll add a little (hopefully usefull) info. When installing the Nvidia drivers I had an error with nvidia-glx-enable, so I manually edited xorg.conf (changing "nv" to "nvidia") to get things working (except for the shutdown). I have this problem in both Ubuntu and Kubuntu Dapper. I didn't have the shutdown problem in this machine with (K)Ubuntu Hoary, and I also don't have the trouble with SUSE (9.1 - 10.1).
      Thanks.
      Same thing happened to me. Except I was doing it with ATI drivers. Got the same error messages when checking the drivers. I just reinstalled and did not realized the drivers are already installed for my ATI 9200 SE.

Comment

I hade the sam problem and after much serching I have come across following solution i dont now if this will solve your problem, but apparently it have solved some peoples problem.

1) Edit in /boot/grub/menu.lst
        sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
        title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.15-27-686
        root (hd0,6)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.15-27-686 root=/dev/hda6 ro quiet splash acpi=force
        initrd /initrd.img-2.6.15-27-686
        savedefault
        boot

add acpi=force as above.

2)Go to the bios and se if you find something like Advanced->CPU Configuration->Execute Disable Function = Enabled

3)Follow the instruction in the link to update fglrx to the newest version
        http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

4)Edit in /etc/kd3/kdm/kdmrc
        decomment following line
        #TerminateServer=true
        you will find it almost at the bottom of the file.

nothing of this work for me but maby it dose for you

But what did work for was following
        5) Edite in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        decomment the Load "extmod"

Section "Module"
        Load "i2c"
        Load "bitmap"
        Load "ddc"
        Load "dri"
        # Load "extmod"
        Load "freetype"
        Load "glx"
        Load "int10"
        Load "type1"
        Load "vbe"
        EndSection

good luck

Comment

Hi There:

I also had this issue for a while. My problem was that one of my daemons for my game servers (mordor I recall) wasn't shutting down...or it was taking forever to! I ended up removing all of the game servers for online gaming and my problem went away. perhaps you have some other daemon not stopping properly?

That's all i can really help with...

Good luck.

t.
          GPG Key ID# 0x3AE05130

Comment

Working...
          X