X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu wireles broken

Hi All,

I like KDE and prefer it over Gnome, I have been using KDE on dapper for many months up until a few weeks ago due to a wireless problem. I have a 3com wireless PCMCIA card which detects during ubuntu/kubuntu install as a 3com office connect wireless card (can'I am using the card to create this post).

During the install process of unbutu/kunbutu it detects the card perfectly, I enter the wireless SSID and WEP key and it retrieves a DHCP address from my AP fine. With ubuntu I never have a problem with the wireless (it is what I am using at the moment) but with kubuntu the wireless is not working. I did a ifconfig as root at the terminal and it only showed the loopback interface. When I went in the WIFI manager I can enter all my SSID and WEP settings again but it will not activate the wireless. If I then go into the control center and look through the wireless application in there it sees all the settings i created earier (SSID and WEP) and if i click activate device it comes back with an error cannot set speed or something simular then deactivates itself but if I then go back into the WIFI manager (not in control center) the wireless device is active. If I then do a ifconfig the device appears as eth2 but has not IP Addresses, I then have to give it a IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway by ifconfig and the configure the routing table manually. All of the above process has to be done each time kubuntu is booted.

I do not have any such problems with ubuntu and for me this problem is a show stopper with kubuntu. I have attempted installing ubuntu and then updating to kubuntu several times and have attmpted fresh installs of kubuntu, all have given me the same results (the problem I have detailed above).

Has anyone else had this problem and have been able to fix it so the system works on boot and the wireless applications in kubuntu work correctly to configure the device?

P.S. Sorry for any lack of detail but I have gone back to ubuntu for now and until I am reasonably sure the problem can be overcomed I will stay on ubuntu, the main reason for this is usually to update ubuntu or kubuntu from a freash install takes 7 hours on my home ADSL and that with the time spent to switch from ubuntu and kubuntu all the time I am just wasting a lot of my time.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Kubuntu wireles broken

Hello Glemma

Edit the /proc/net/wireless config file and put all the commands you would use from a terminal as root, reboot and see if it takes. I have an Acer 3500 laptop with an onboard Atheros chipset and after playing around from a terminal succeeded in getting this card up with the native drivers, then I had to do as I suggested above and modify / save the above file.

Will

Comment

I have some of the same problems mentioned above. I can see the wireless card, but "Network Settings" won't let me change the ath0 to activate it. Network Settings doesn't even show the "Administrator" button so I can enter my password to make setting changes!

The same thing is happening with the Wireless Settings to..

The system via lspci shows I have the card, but it appears that I have to enter everything through the terminal which isn't optimal, especially if my best half is going to use my laptop:

~$ lspci
      0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82855PM Processor to I/O Controller (rev 03)
      0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82855PM Processor to AGP Controller (rev 03)
      0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
      0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
      0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
      0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M) USB 2.0 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
      0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 83)
      0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801DBM LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
      0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801DBM (ICH4) Ultra ATA Storage Controller (rev 03)
      0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
      0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
      0000:00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
      0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600 M10]
      0000:02:04.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
      0000:02:06.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3 SmartCardBus MultiMediaBay Controller
      0000:02:06.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3 SmartCardBus MultiMediaBay Controller
      0000:02:06.2 System peripheral: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711Mx MultiMediaBay Accelerator
      0000:02:06.3 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M3 SmartCardBus MultiMediaBay Controller
      0000:02:0e.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M_2 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
      @hpkub510:~$
      Uhmm..... Yeah.. What he said...

Comment

Hi,

you should be able to modify network settings by hand in the file /etc/network/interfaces, if you know what you're doing...
        If not, just explain your config and give the output of :
        cat /etc/network/interfaces
        ifconfig -a

BTW maybe it will be solved in a next upgrade of dapper... But if you can't get network, it will be harder to upgrade.

Glemma : for activate the network from GUI, in fact, there was a known bug about wep key encryption, I don't know if it's solved now, so maybe that's why you can get it up...

Cheers

PS : another idea is using "sudo kcontrol" or "kdesu systemsettings"

Comment

Working...
        X