This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting removable media under user account - RESOLVED

For some reason I can't seem to mount a USB drive to my laptop while logged in with my wife's user account. I can mount it just fine under my own account, but attempting to mount it under Jennifer's account yields this error:

Code:
    Could not mount device.
    The reported error was:
    mount: can't find /dev/sda1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    I'm at a loss here. Anyone got any ideas?

RESOLUTION: Turned out that /dev/sda1 was owned by the "plugdev" group. Once I added my wife's account to the plugdev group, I was able to mount the device just find while logged in as her.

Re: Mounting removable media under user account

Well, there are two ways to approach this. I'd try method 1 first. If that doesn't work, try method 2.

Method 1:
    Make sure you belong to the same groups. Well, if you don't want your wife to be able to sudo, you can leave her off the admin group.

A quick way to get a list of the groups you belong to is to log in as yourself, go to KMenu > System > Konsole and type
    Code:
    groups
    Keep that window open.

Press Alt-F2 and type
    Code:
    kdesu kuser
    Double-click on your wife's username. Click on the groups tab. Make sure she belongs to all the same groups you do.

Method 2:
    Put /dev/sda1 in the /etc/fstab...
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Working...
    X