Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] Connection to CUPS server fails...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Connection to CUPS server fails...

Hi,

Unable to "add printer" in Kubuntu 6.04 Dapper Drake Flight 4 (aka Flight 4 henceforth) , right after installation on HD :

"Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
    Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: host not found".

I noticed this also on the Flight 3 installation, and on a recent Kubuntu 6.04 AMD64 installation (build 24.02.2006).  I did not find a cure for it.  I have never seen this failure in any linux distro that I tried.

{Added # 1}
    After learning elsewhere that there might be a wrong entry in System Settings | Printers | Print Manager | Configure Manager |  Cups Server under "Host" like "/var/run/cups/cups.sock".  It needed to changed to "localhost".
    I did so.  But the problem of not being able to add a printer is more persistent (although the error message has now - at the end) :

Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason".

{Added # 2}

After some additional research :

In /etc/cups/cupsd.conf make the following change:

comment out the line:
    AuthType Basic
    in the <Location/admin> section at the bottom of the file (comment out
    with #'s). Then, restart CUPS.

After this I could add my HP Laserjet 4M (parallel connected) and Epson C44UX (USB) like I always could in any debian-based distro.  Only thing left: the installed printers did NOT show up immediately under "installed printers".
    I had to exit System Settings and open again; then they were there.

Problem solved (at least for me).  Apparently much more people have encountered this problem in some K/Ubuntu version.

{Added # 3}
    Moderator: please move thos one to the "software" or "post-installation" section.  The problem was not hardware related after all.......

Regards.

Re: [solved] Connection to CUPS server fails...

Hye, I don't think they should move it to software related, because if someone is going to try to find a solution he's going to end up on hardware support. I'm gonna try this solution on flight six right away, I'll tell whtat if it helps here too.

Comment

Originally posted by terracotta
      Hye, I don't think they should move it to software related, because if someone is going to try to find a solution he's going to end up on hardware support. I'm gonna try this solution on flight six right away, I'll tell whtat if it helps here too.
      I think it is already solved in Flight 6 (which I am running now). I did not meet the same problem in Flight 6.

Regards, Ko

Comment

Originally posted by oblio
        Originally posted by terracotta
        I think it is already solved in Flight 6 (which I am running now). I did not meet the same problem in Flight 6.

Regards,  Ko
        Mhm, I was just about to say that I got:
        Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason".
        from the beginning and that I had to do

comment out the line:
        AuthType Basic but not in <Location /admin> but in:

<Location /admin/conf>
        # AuthType Basic
        Require user @SYSTEM
        Order allow,deny
        Allow localhost
        </Location>
        But the problem is solved now yipiieee, thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

Working...
        X