This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know how to use bcm43xx?

I noticed that dapper (flight 4) now detects my Broadcom 4306 wireless chipset but, even though it can detect it, it doesn't know how to turn it on. I am figuring that this has something to do with it not being able to load the firmware or something -- Do I have to load the firmware myself? Can somebody give me some tips on getting the bcm43xx drivers to work? In the mean time, I am just using ndiswrapper to get online.

Re: Anyone know how to use bcm43xx?

Originally posted by mikeycal
    I noticed that dapper (flight 4) now detects my Broadcom 4306 wireless chipset but, even though it can detect it, it doesn't know how to turn it on. I am figuring that this has something to do with it not being able to load the firmware or something -- Do I have to load the firmware myself? Can somebody give me some tips on getting the bcm43xx drivers to work? In the mean time, I am just using ndiswrapper to get online.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx

Look at dapper section

Comment

I found the built in driver didn't work. Even with the right firmware.

I am using Ndiswrapper and it works great. If you don't get anyway the path you are pursuing try ndiswrapper.

Comment

The bcm drivers in the kernel are still very experimental, but have come a very long way considering the reveres enginered specs were only released about 3 months ago.  The version in 2.6.15 are a bit old now and not as good as the latest ones in 2.6.16, so for now you may want to stick with NDISwrapper if you have problems with the in-built ones.

John.

Comment

Just a heads up. According to the Broadcom back port project, their linux native Broadcom drivers are slated to be put into the 2.6.17 kernel. With any luck they will work great.
          Dell Inspiron N5010 Intel Core i5 Arrandale M460 processor Intel graphics 8Gig RAM Seagate 640Gig HD Broadcom BCM4113 Wireless Linux Mint Rebecca (Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr).

Comment

i also suggest to just use ndiswrapper. it works great. just remember to blacklist the native broadcom driver. blacklisting is covered in the wiki entry linked to above.

Comment

Working...
            X