X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recomendation for AM2 motherboard?

Hi guys,

I'm still hunting for a well-suported motherboard.

All the motherboards I've seen are either out of my budget (135$+ when all I can spend is around 100$) or are VERY difficult to find. (Gigabyte M55PLUS-S3G comes to mind ) Has anyone had good experiences with an AM2 board? Preferably standard ATX, I like my computers to live longer than a few years.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a store in Canada, prefferably with a location in Ontario (Or at least that ships there) that stocks the Gigabyte M55PLUS-S3G? I only know one place that has had it, and I think they stopped stocking it sadly.

Cheers,
    Joro.

Re: Recomendation for AM2 motherboard?

try newegg.com I buy a lot of clearence and refurbished motherboards. Most motherboards are well supported. I have been able to install linux on many, many machines with no drama with drivers. except for winmodems and wireless cards everthing else tends to work out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by lec2004
      try newegg.com I buy a lot of clearence and refurbished motherboards. Most motherboards are well supported. I have been able to install linux on many, many machines with no drama with drivers. except for winmodems and wireless cards everthing else tends to work out of the box.
      I'm looking right now at Asus's M2N-E, but some people have problems with the sound and LAN.

Are setting them generally straight-forward? Are there such things as "generic" drivers for stuff like that?

Of course, I'd probably go for a Gigabyte motherboard... One of the only manufacturers that specificly states that Linux drivers are available.

Comment

With Linux you must let go of the idea of installing drivers after installing Linux. I am starting to see devices kinda have a generic driver for each brand but during the installation Linux will install the appropriate driver.

I remember the dread of installing Windows and having to go through the CD shuffle and driver downloads. That is not the case with Linux. The only devices you might want to compile a driver is for a Nvidia or ATI card and the ever problomatic wireless. For the most part Linux is ready to go out of the box. The only configuring you will be doing is installing additional software packages that interest you, codecs and browser plug-ins. But with the base install you are ready to ride.

Comment

Working...
        X