This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X Server crashes

Hi all. Maybe this is the wrong section so sorry. I use Kubuntu 6.10. I recently installed this game: http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar/v5 which is pretty funny. But every time I played it when I quit the game, the desktop was zoomed in. When I moved my mouse to the sides the desktop panned that way! I had to go and change the resolution to something else and back to the one I wanted for everything to be ok.
    But the third time I played I couldn't get the resolution back so I restarted.

And since then I can't get to the kde login screen. After the loading splash I get a console login. Then I try to start the X server with startx or xinit and nothing works. I get this error:

Fatal server error:
    no screens found
    XIO: fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0" after 0 requests (0known processed) with 0 events remaining.
    xauth: error in locking authority file /home/stefanos/.Xauthority

with kdeinit I get:
    Aborting. $DISPLAY is not set.

I tried the commands with sudo, same thing.

Also when the loading splash starts I also get a few errors of this type which I think are harmless cause I got the from the start: [17179570.024000] PCI: Cannot allocate region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0

I have an acer aspire 3680 with intel 940 gml grafics card. I use 915resolution for my resolution.
    Also some time ago I went messing around trying to install a screensaver, namely KCometen
    http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=56744

But trying to get it to install running make and make install or whatever it needed, I somehow got my desktop to crach whenever I tried to change background settings. Afterwards I reinstalled 915resolution and this problem was fixed. But since then no screensaver works on my laptop. I only get a big white X as a screensaver.

Any help on this issue would be great, thanks
    (I believe those two problems are kinda linked, maybe :P)

Re: X Server crashes

hm I copied xorg.conf.1 over xorg.conf and now it booted up perfectly....Although I am kinda afraid it might happen again.
    What are those xorg.conf.1-4 files?

Comment

Re: X Server crashes

What are those xorg.conf.1-4 files?
      They are backups.

When you (System Settings > Display):
      I had to go and change the resolution to something else and back to the one I wanted for everything to be ok.
      This edits xorg.conf and backups old.

But every time I played it when I quit the game, the desktop was zoomed in. When I moved my mouse to the sides the desktop panned that way!
      Did you try Ctrl Alt + or - (this should scroll available resolutions)

more:
      Linux keyboard shortcuts you should know about - Pio's blog
      http://blog.i64.pl/PiosBlog/200610/2...ld-know-about/
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
      X