X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Soundcards - Only Need One

Hi, everyone!

I have two soundcards in my machine. One came with the machine, and I unfortunately blew it into a nonworking state a few years ago. The other one I installed not long after that unfortunate event.

What I didn't do was remove the nonworking soundcard (which still does "sorta" work, but not to where I want to plug anything into it). And I still don't want to remove it, because I don't like diddling around with my hardware AND I don't want to leave the bay it's in a gaping hole.

The problem is that when I boot my machine up, about a third of the time Kubuntu identifies the nonworking soundcard as the "default". I can use the mixer window to change to the other one, but if I want to use XMMS I have to repoint it as well, and even then I hear no system sounds nor can I play anything in my browser that has sound (like YouTube videos, etc.).

How can I tell the system to just ignore the nonworking soundcard on boot? I assume there's some configuration file somewhere that tells Kubuntu that it can use that card - if so, I want to remove it from that file. But I don't know how to do that.

Can anyone tell me how to make my nonworking soundcard invisible to the system?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Re: Two Soundcards - Only Need One

Usually you can enable/disable hardware components from your mainboard, in the Bios setup.
    Reboot and then you can enter the Bios setup mode.
    I think it works.
    Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X