This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Kubuntu work with digital cameras?

I am running Dapper Drake and I have plugged in my USB camera. I find an icon in the System parameters (control panel?) but that's it. There is no "drive" that I can find inside Konqueror. Any ideas?

Thank you,

PM

Re: Does Kubuntu work with digital cameras?

If it is a hand-held digital camera, you need to power it on, and then Konqueror has a digital-image handling capability, but there are other programs listed in the Adept Manager. Camorama is one for the little webcams, but unfortunately (K)Ubuntu does not have great support for little USB devices like webcams or phones, and you're going to be stuck installing the gspca driver if that is your situation. To get the details on that, go to the Ubuntu forum and do a search on "webcam installation". There's a "How to" thread on the subject.

Comment

I use digikam for my photos. Imports them from the camera and will organise them for you, much like picasa does. Perhaps you could give that a try.
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Thank you. I installed digikam and I was able to download a few images to my drive. Now digikam is not able to display them:

Code:
        kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype Digikam/ImagePlugin not found
        digikam: ERROR: : couldn't create slave : Unable to create io-slave:
        klauncher said: Protocole digikamdates inconnu.
        digikam:
        digikam: WARNING: [void AlbumManager::slotResult(KIO::Job*)] Failed to list dates
        klauncher said: Protocole digikamtags inconnu.
        digikam:
        digikam: WARNING: Failed to list url: Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
        klauncher said: Protocole digikamtags inconnu.
        klauncher said: Protocole digikamalbums inconnu.
        digikam:
        digikam: WARNING: Failed to list url: Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
        digikam:
        ScimInputContextPlugin()
        digikam:
        digikam:
        My camera is a Canon PowerShot A20.

PM

Comment

You probably need to install digikamimageplugins as well.
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by mr_scary
            There is no "drive" that I can find inside Konqueror. Any ideas?
            if you wish to browse the camera in konqueror (digikam is an excellent piece of software, though), you can try the camera:/ kio-slave (just type camera:/ in the address bar)

Comment

Well, I don't know if it's going to be very useful, but I have been to download pictures from this same camera (I mean the same model) with digikam without nothing special. I just go to the Camera Menu, select add a camera and then Automatic Detection.

No need for the digikam plugins. They are a nice addition to do some light-weight image editing but I didn't need it to download from Canons cameras.

You can try to reinstall digikam.

Code:
              $ sudo apt-get --reinstall install digikam
              Javier.

Comment

I have never tried to directly connect my camera to the computer. I have a card reader, and I just plug the card in and it reads it just like a USB thumb drive. No extra software needed. Just use the "cut" and "paste" function to copy the images to your hard drive and delete them from your card. If you don't have a card reader, they are really inexpensive.

Comment

Re: Does Kubuntu work with digital card readers

Originally posted by Detonate
                  I have never tried to directly connect my camera to the computer. I have a card reader, and I just plug the card in and it reads it just like a USB thumb drive. No extra software needed. Just use the "cut" and "paste" function to copy the images to your hard drive and delete them from your card. If you don't have a card reader, they are really inexpensive.
                  Is this an internal or external card reader? I can't use my internal card reader in Kubuntu, but i can use an external card reader that plus in to a USB port. I haven't figure out the copy and import functions yet. Can one use a photo program like GIMP under kubuntu to import the pix directly into a folder or file?

Comment

Mine is external and reads all of the popular card formats. I got it from NewEgg . But the sell them just about anywhere that sells computer stuff. I think I paid about $15.

When you insert the card from your camera in the reader, automatically mounts just like a flash drive. You can access it with Konqueror just like any other flash drive, and copy, delete, move, files, whatever. In fact if you don't have a flash drive you can actually use your camera memory card for one. Any file can be stored on the card, not just images. You can view and manipulate the images with Gimp, or any other program you like. I like Gthumb which is a Gnome program, but it will run under KDE. I use Gimp for really intensive editing, but it's overkill for simple things like resizing an image.

Comment

For internal card readers, alot of computer manufacturers have their own drivers, so it may be hard to get those working. External readers are a lot easier to get working. It took me a couple tries just to get my internal reader working for my windows xp laptop and I had the drivers.

Comment

Huh, people. Can we get back to the original problem? Thanks.

I tried to reinstall digikam but it did not help:

Code:
                        $ sudo apt-get --reinstall install digikam
                        PM

Comment

I must have misunderstood what your original problem was. I thought you were having difficulty downloading the images on your camera to your computer and manipulating the images. I was merely trying to offer a solution that works for me. Excuse me.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_scary
                            I tried to reinstall digikam but it did not help:
                            Are the images downloaded to the hard disk?

Can you see them browsing with konkeror?

You can try to delete the album folder in digikam or create another one. Note that digikam has problems with very big albums (60 G or more). So don't make your home dir the album dir. Make some subdir and put your photos there.

And that's all the help that I can give . Sorry.

Javier.

Comment

Yes, the images are on the hard drive and I can view them in Konqueror. However, Digikam cannot view them at all. I changed the album directory and looked at permissions. Everything seems ok. No change. At first, for the new album, the subdirectory containing my images did not appear in Digikam. Then I tried to create a new album and suddenly the directory appeared (parallel to the new album). Something is funky with Digikam. Too bad, it looks like a decent proggie.

PM

Comment

Working...
                              X