This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amarok weirdness

The whole thing about Amark in another thread got me to do some searching and comparing.

A ) Amarok can be installed in KDE Neon dev stable. It is version 2.9.0 Build Date March 18, 2018
    B ) I assumed...and I SHOULD have remembered about what one gets when one "assumes" things... that I could install it from backports.

What I got was failed dependencies in all cases but that it was "referred to by another application" but, of course, no way to know what the application was, but then I never said that I was a CLI guy.

C ) So build it from source... if somebody want's to do that the number of things involved is rather mindboggling... it suggest that it would be easier TO MAKE A SKIN FOR CLEMENTINE...

D ) There are threads in various fora that say that "Clementine is the new default player for KDE"

OK, so I thought I would install Clementine and see if it would pull other stuff... well naaah...

BUT Clementine DOES FULLFILL ALL OF THE FUNCTIONS of Amarok and...does transcoding... well OK TO THAT !!!

E ) I wondered if it might be involved with something that new folks may or may not know about...and that is Kubuntu Restricted Extras... so I hie myself to Synaptic and install that but am warned that I will lose LibAVcodec 58.

LibAVcodec58 is a "runtime" file associated with ffmpeg. For NEW folks...FFMPEG is involved with running music that are "mpegs" which is a LOT of music but I would end up with ffmpeg for 7:4.1.3-0ubuntu1 so what the heck I can always uninstall the restricted extras. So I go ahead...and everything is fine. videos play you name it.

So...for a lark I go BACK to Discover to see if I can find Amarok ... I type in the word Amarok, like I have done several times today...and what do I get?

Pragha a music player: https://pragha-music-player.github.io/

WHICH...okaay...in the description it says that it has panels like Amarok. okaaayyyyyyyyyy

So I install it. It does NOT appear in the menu...nada zilch...I look in usr / bin and there it is, I click it and it appears and I play an mp3 file... ok...

After another update it did appear, with the correct icon in Multimedia.

The description says something to the effect that a fellow taking some programming classes made it.

And to quote from the page:

After several years, opened this website.

I'm doing a new course, called "University expert PHP and MySQL", and now I need to apply the knowledge,
    okaaay... I am not knocking the developer of Pragha which was named for a "band that I know". OKAAAY...

But this is just weird...

a) A fully developed application that a LOT of people like, (that has not been updated since March 2018, this is August 2019) is NOT EVEN AVAILABLE...but IS available for Neon.
    b) a somewhat funtional app that has " panels like Amarok " is available and installs ( if one has the correct libraries )
    c) an app that runs under either library set and runs videos, and does transcoding etc. will install. ( Clementine )

So...the question that comes to my mind is...why is not Amarok "AT LEAST AVAILABLE" since it does run under Neon Dev Stable?

BTW... Clementine STILL DOES NOT have a functioning "cover info" or "artist info".

Although It does have "visualizations".

dunno, just a question, Im into Kaffein and PMC so Amarok is not high on my list.

woodmainlyaskingforothersandasanabatractquestionsm oke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 12, 2019, 12:31 AM.

Edited - Suggestion duplicate of another post
    Last edited by Worzel; Aug 12, 2019, 07:44 AM. Reason: Duplicate answer

Comment

Working...
    X