X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

emoji problems

Emojis

Now don't say anything you guys (that includes you DoYouKubuntu). Just set me in the right direction on something here, if you can. I have done some googling. Two questions, actually.

Q1 Why do emojis appear as boxes?

Let's say it's Kubuntu 18.04 on my desktop PC, Firefox, and I post a comment on a website, and the comment includes an emoji, like a colorful flower or whatever. I look at the post, it looks fine. Then I open Chromium to view the same website and the posted comment, and the emoji appears as a box (an empty, line box). So I wonder two things:

What's going on here?
    and
    How does my receiver see my emoji when she/he views my posted comment?

Obviously, this involves the software used to view these things, right? (The recipient may also be using any OS and any browser.) And what can you do to get a handle on this? or is it just a crap shoot--post what you will, and hard telling how your recipient will see it?

Interestingly, in this example, I can open Chromium, go to a site that offers (free) emojis for copy and paste, and all the emojis on that emoji site do appear as they should in Chromium. But if I were to copy and paste one to a comment on a website it would appear as a box.

Q2 Why does the red heart (for example, but it's a common issue) appear as a black heart after posting it in a comment at a website?

In this case, there is a difference in meaning between the red and the black hearts. And, again, I don't really see what can be done to rectify this problem.

Any suggestion, comments, or insights ... besides to stay off the social media thing and spend more time reading cosmology books?

Not that you guys are in the dark or anything, but this is a common emoji site where you copy-paste these things, to give a specific example of a page of--I presume--codes:
    https://emoji-copy-paste.com/plant .

Thanks ��❤️ (<-- That is supposed to be a red rose followed by a red heart, we'll see what it looks like posted)

Edit, added: In both Firefox and Chromium, I see the same thing:
    Instead of the red rose, I see two diamond-boxed question marks.
    Instead of the red heart, I see a black heart.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 09, 2020, 11:59 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

I didn't test the red --> black heart issue, but I looked at how thing appear on my tablet with a flower emoji:
    So I posted, say, a colorful flower emoji using the PC/Kubuntu/Firefox system. When viewed on my Samsung table, it looks as it should. (But, as I said above in Post #1, if I use Chromium on the PC to view the posted flower, it appears as an empty, line box.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I see the boxes and a red heart.

🍍 pineapple
      🌹 rose

You probably are missing the fonts-noto-color-emoji or similar font, and are not using the built-in emoji picker, which is handy but is just a copy-pasta utility.

Comment

.(__)
        (oo) ...cow ;·)
        . \/

Comment

��❤️
          (should be red rose then red heart, after installing fonts-noto-color-emoji)

Well this is frustrating!
          Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 09, 2020, 03:07 PM.

Comment

What is your standard font, the default noto-sans?

Comment

Let's see settings > fonts , yes: noto-sans 10

I see you and other talkin' about an emoji picker -- rt-click in a text box and select -- but I'm not seeing it, like in this text box right now.

Comment

Search for it in the menu or krunner �� ����

lol those did not work well, dang unicode!

Comment

If you mean search for noto sans 10 ? Nothing in krunner came up; Muon shows nothing, not even the option to install.

Comment

search for the emoji picker app 🔎

Comment

i wonder if part of the problem is the text editor here on the site?

Comment

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...s-in-vbulletin

All I can tell is that we are not using UTF-8 in the language settings.

Comment

I only get a google search offered: emoji picker for Kubuntu
                          https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Not sure what I'm looking for.

Comment

Btw, in Post #3, I do see your pineapple and rose OK, in both Firefox and Chromium (still in 18.04, of course). If that is relevant.

Comment

Oh, yeah. 18.04. this didn't come in until after Plasma 5.12. how did I miss that?

Anyway, it still may be a website database and language settings configuration for emojis here on the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X