This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okular always defaults to A4

fairly new install of kubuntu 18.04.1. okular ignores printer settings and always defaults to A4. i read another thread here about gwenview having the same issue and my gwenview also stuck on A4. both packages show to be built with qt 5.9.5.

there was a bug report listed on gentoo where okular was ignoring printer settings (this bug was about duplex mode) and the issue was in libqt5printsupport5. the update 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu2.1 was available, so it was updated from 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1. prior to the update, you could set okular to letter but it would still send A4 to printer. with this update, changing to letter does send to the printer correctly. the setting is simply not maintained.

is there another patch or update available that addresses this issue?

thanks,
    gobo

An old solution (for he who posted it), but maybe worth trying?

After File --> Print, click Properties on the right side of the printer selection.

Next, click on the Advanced tab. Change the page size to letter. The change sticks.

Changing Page Region to letter does NOT stick, but it doesn't matter... or at least hasn't seemed to matter to me yet.
    (Ref: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=188878)
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

FWIW, the problem seems to be fixed in disco. I set the paper size in system settings, printers, configure, printer options, applied, and exited. Then in Okular the paper size defaulted to what I had set. I booted up my bionic install, repeated the exercise, and the paper size defaulted to A4.

In desco Okular is version 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu1, though the problem might be in something like libqt5printsupport5, which is version 5.12.2+dfsg-4ubuntu1.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        An old solution (for he who posted it), but maybe worth trying?

(Ref: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=188878)
        this version of okular is 1.3.3. i think i read about this solution somewhere, but this okular does not have an advanced tab. only Page and Job Options.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          FWIW, the problem seems to be fixed in disco. I set the paper size in system settings, printers, configure, printer options, applied, and exited. Then in Okular the paper size defaulted to what I had set. I booted up my bionic install, repeated the exercise, and the paper size defaulted to A4.

In desco Okular is version 4:18.12.3-0ubuntu1, though the problem might be in something like libqt5printsupport5, which is version 5.12.2+dfsg-4ubuntu1.
          i found, i think it was a launchpad bug report, that this was fixed in qt-base-src something or other. it seemed like this was only patching the qt source and not any of the binaries. but i was hoping it might get backported to the 18.04 binaries. many seemed to think the real solution was to dump okular and use evince as it does not use qt libraries.

thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X