This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Writer Cannot Save Changes

I'm having so many issues it's ridiculous. When I create a new LO Writer Document I cannot save changes. Every time I do it want's me to save the document as a new document and rename it.

This all started after I tried to install "sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer" as I usually do, to make LO more compatible with MS Office from what I've read. The issue was it seemed to stall out on the EULA, and I could not figure out how to move forward with it so I shut down and rebooted. I did this because I could not find the process in KsysGuard either. I then installed Synaptic as I've heard others doing because they don't like Muon and Discover. I then installed sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer from Synaptics. Now still have the issue where I cannot create, change, and save new documents.

I will Uninstall ttf mscorefonts I guess as that is the only thing I can think of doing.
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Uninstalling ttf-mscorefonts-installer, logging out and back in seems to have fixed this but I would love to hear anyone else's experience with this. I would like to make sure my LibreOffice Writer is as compatible as possible with MS Office. I of course always try to use the .doc format to make things simple and work with MS as much as possible.

Here is one of the sources I use to do this, though the directions are not as good as they could be, this is where I got the idea.
    EasyLinuxTipsProject

Comment

MS Office supports ODF documents, which many people forget.
      Unless it is a very complex document, there should not be much to worry about, but it is best to test it out. I am not even sure if using the ms fonts is necessary, unless you have a situation where multiple people are editing the same doc. It does not hurt to have them, LO , despite claims from other alternative office suites, does seem to have the best compatibility. But again, test it out. If the documents do not need editing by someone else, maybe look at saving them as pdf, the formatting should not be lost using this, no matter what the OS.

What is your main use for LO?

Comment

I simply have to us MS Office 2007, and love to have my linux install for the freedom of it all and other little things. So am always opening MS Word docs in LO and LO docs in MS Word. For the most part don't have issues as I've set them both up to use the same layout. So you may be right that I don't need the fonts, but I will research it a little more later. For now have Timeshift setup with my good working Kubuntu in case of any issues.

I have not had good luck with ODF, seems you have to convert the doc every time or something, just not worth it. I use these docs constantly, always back and forth from Linux to Windows 7-8-10 to keep the money coming in.

Comment

You can edit the settings to save as doc, docx, etc as the default
          https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/...Office_Formats
          That's what I used to do.
          I also used to use an extension that saved it as odt, doc, and pdf simultaneously. though not automatically.

Comment

Yes, been setting to save as .doc for years now. At first was saving as docx like in Word, but when I saw that some docs did not cross over well started saving as .doc. Easy to set that as default as I would imagine your directions tell me. I have it memorized now. Yeah, that's it: "Choose Tools - Options' - Load/Save - General'"

Comment

The Microsoft .doc format is not well supported these days in Word - it will always want to update one of those to a .docx.

WRT the MS EULA, it's kind of awkward, but I remember the last time I tried to install MS fonts, there was scrolling process thjat you had to do to eget to the bottom of the EULA - essentially "reading" the entire thing in order to accept it and complete the install. I don't know if that would help with your current LO issues, but maybe ...
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Those EULA pop-ups are why I don't ever install such an app (one that contains a separate EULA) in a GUI Package Manager. Why? Because, in my experience (back when I did such an install in a GUI Package Manager), the EULA window appears behind the GUI Package Manager (and if you weren't aware that there was one, you wouldn't know it was there, waiting to be acknowledged). When installing a package from the CLI that has a EULA, you just have to Tab into it then downarrow to the Accept Decline (or Yes, No, or....) and tab to highlight the response and then press Enter. It's a PITA to be sure, but it works.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have 18.04 too and installed ttf-mscorefonts-installer the way Snowhog describes. (I have a lot of libreoffice-documents with those fonts.) It works without problems.
                  So it is possible to use those fonts. But I don't know how to solve your problems, because I'm no Linux-expert. Just wanted to let you know it is possible to use them without problems.

Comment

There is no problem other than that EULA and my not being able to get to it. When I did it from Synaptics the EULA cam up to where I could say Yes or No. From the Command Line I never saw it and could not Tab into it. I'll take another stab at it just so I know how to do it. I'm quite sure I broke it the first time with the Command Line because I shut down while not being able to find the EULA. I may even try downloading the package to see if that brings up the EULA better.

The Microsoft .doc format is not well supported these days in Word - it will always want to update one of those to a .docx.
                    Never have experienced this but of course I don't have a Modern Office program, only 2007.

Comment

Here, in my 18.04, I just initiated the installation of ttf-mscorefonts-installer from the Command Line (sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer). This is the EULA screen that appears immediately:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.49.25 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	644094

You don't see this?

With this screen showing, just press Tab and the <Ok> becomes highlighted:

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.53.31 AM.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	644095

Once highlighted you just press Enter.

The EULA Acceptance screen then shows, with <No> preselected (highlighted):

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.58.02 AM.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	644096

Again, press Tab to select <Yes> and then press Enter:

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 8.59.33 AM.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	644097

This window will then close and the installation will continue, and when finished, you'll see:

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 9.01.33 AM.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	644098

Done.
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 12, 2019, 09:03 AM.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I thought I tried Tab, but that my very well be the problem. I didn't really know to hit Tab, this must be one of those things where experience comes into play, otherwise how would I know to hit Tab?

That was a lot of work Snowhog, thanks very much. I will install it when I get back on my Kubuntu laptop.

"Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007" Wow, you are a diehard Kubuntu guy!

Comment

Hi
                          thank you for the question, and no question is not a good question.

MY ONE "fault" with LO is some of the drop down information boxes are "black" and obscure the text in the box.

As to fonts etc.

I just stopped using TT fonts quite a few years ago... if I have to interact with a MS product.

BTW, TT fonts were originally made...painstakingly, BY HAND, pixel by pixel by a HILLBILLY software guy on the AMIGA (tm) who lived in Marionville MO, "the home of the White Squirrels"... MS then approached him and paid him a BOATload of money for the fonts he had AND to continue making more.
                          A filthy rich hillbilly in "galluses" the thing with the bib on front, that drove an old pickup but had a LOT of time on his hands and a great love for the AMIGA.
                          I, personally, ALWAYS use only ARIAL if I have to be compatible with a MS product.

And, I never have a problem saving and retrieving, but then I a) run a very STOCK Kubuntu and don't use MS TT fonts.

You are going to REALLY RIDICULE ME for this but I always, first, write my "text" documents in Calligra just to be "true to the faith" AND because it is very ergonomically arranged in terms of mouse sweep etc. and I always use the default "DejaVu Sans" 10 pt because it is SMALL and generally will not be messed up by Libre Office. The problem is that moving through format styles changes the size of things.

A LOT of "talking heads" and "trolls" and "just new to Ubuntu" complain about "compatibility" with Microshaft.

The simple jejoinder is...just as with Apple(tm) products, if one never leaves the "ecosystem" of Apple(tm) then one never needs to worry about "compatibility".

So, if one ONLY uses Ubuntu then one can do what one wishes.

However, i assume that you do need to interact with Microsith products as do I.

The NEXT thing that I do is, if I need to interact with Microshaft I SAVE the Calligra docment as .odt and close it and then REopen it to check that everything is copascetic.

I then open it in LibreOffice and with doing NOTHING else I then save as either .doc or .docx depending on what I am going to interact with at the school.

the formatting does not "get squirrely" in that transition if it is a TEXT document, The only thing that sometimes messes up is the placement of say...an image...the coding between the two on that is different.

So, I GENERALLY do all of the "text" in Calligra and then save to .doc or .docx and THEN add images or charts or whatever.

When it gets to the school however, MS just loves to screw it over ESPECIALLY now that the college is placing all of our stuff ON THE CLOUD...

again, MS does not mess with a text document so much or a spreadsheet but it...has starting about ten years ago ...used the .pptx "container" top load what they call a "replacement white sheet" on random slides.

They then "recommend" that the user "go out on the net and find an app, for which one has to pay that will "fix" the slide.

Well, the slide is fine, it is there but it is really COVERED with a simple script that places "the color white HTML" over the slide.

When I get back home I can view all slides just fine but in the container for the "xml" one will see the code. delete it and next day at the school the slide is there and MS says another one is messed up. It is all just MS way of screwing with people that don't buy their product.

I HAVE a fully legal copy of PPT that I purchased a long time ago and can make a presentation in it, take it to school and MS does the same thing and ALSO says that it was made with an "illegal" copy of PPT...so...anyway...

So, the problems are with Microshaft not LO or Calligra...

now...what is REALLY ODD... and I think this goes waaaay back to when Bill Clinton DOJ sued Microshaft...if I save a .ppt as an .ODP...that is an Open Document Presentation, and am VERY CAREFUL...to keep text boxes small, with the basic .odt text and keep IMAGES...small... and LOCK everything to the slide... almost all of the time... MS at the school will open it and display it... amazing...but...if I try to ALTER it in ANY way...omg... MS will destroy the thing...

As a safeguard I also export all .ppts or .pptx to a .pdf...I lose animations and slide ins and all that but it works.

I apologize for getting off on a tangent but I just wanted to relate some of what i have experienced and observed.

woodsmoke
                          Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 14, 2019, 12:32 AM.

Comment

@woodsmoke, anything is helpful at this point as I don't know much about all this. I have learned a few things about the compatibility but I'm not super Tech Inclined. So I will take notes from you and apply them to see what happens, and I agree the incompatibility is all MS Business. I have found that LO on Linux is better than LO on Windows, how I forget, just some docs would not be compatible and would get the Recovery Window every time in LO On Windows from docs created on MS Office Word. I've since not had that issue so must be doing something right though don't know what that is lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X