This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Hardware or Software Issue? Ubuntu Server 18.04.1

If this post is not authorized on a Kubuntu site, please let me know. If there was a Server forum page on this site, I'd post it there, but I suppose it's unnecessary to use Kubuntu for a headless server.

So I'm still configuring my Ubuntu Server (US) 18.04.1 LTS with SSH, Samba, Webmin, and OpenVPN. The server is running on a Supermicro X9SCM-F mobo. This mobo has 3 LAN ports: 1, 2, and IPMI. ifconfig returns only the lo, loopback port. I removed the cover of the server and watched the 3 ports as I booted the server. When the mobo powers up, all 3 ports are active. During boot up, there's some time when none are active, then they come back active again. After the OS is up and running, LAN2 goes dark (no winky-blinky lights) and ifconfig doesn't "see" any of the ports. I have access to IPMI, but not LAN1 and both of those ports appear to be active.

Because the LAN2 port is active when the board powers up and doesn't go dark until the OS is up, I think it's a SW issue, but I can't imagine what it could be. Any help or links would be most appreciated.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

If you can connect a monitor or at least SSH in from a workstation with a monitor, dmesg may give some hints as well as other system logging.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

jglen490, thank you for responding. And, yes I learned from dmesg that eth0 and eth1 were renamed to eno1 and enp2s0. I don't know why they were renamed and I know it was nothing I did. From the time I installed US 18.04LTS, en01 and enp2s0 were the only two LAN port names I knew about from ifconfig.

I've stopped sshd and service networkd apparently does not exist. I do have a netplan config file that worked as soon as I wrote it. The config sets en01 and enp2s0 to static IP addresses.

The OS is running off of a 64GB Flash drive. I have 6TB of storage on this server with only test data so I don't care if I blow it away, but I would like to save the btrfs raid 5 configuration of the three, 2TB drives. If I disconnected the 3 hard drives and saved the fstab file, Is it possible to reinstall the US OS from DVD, reconnect the 3 hard drives to the same 3 SATA ports, and install the fstab file would that work?

I suppose the answer depends on the blkid numbers. Are they determined by the hardware, like a mac address or by the OS?

Unless I get this resolved, I may have to start all over again. Please advise.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
        jglen490, thank you for responding. And, yes I learned from dmesg that eth0 and eth1 were renamed to eno1 and enp2s0. I don't know why they were renamed and I know it was nothing I did. From the time I installed US 18.04LTS, en01 and enp2s0 were the only two LAN port names I knew about from ifconfig.

I've stopped sshd and service networkd apparently does not exist. I do have a netplan config file that worked as soon as I wrote it. The config sets en01 and enp2s0 to static IP addresses.

The OS is running off of a 64GB Flash drive. I have 6TB of storage on this server with only test data so I don't care if I blow it away, but I would like to save the btrfs raid 5 configuration of the three, 2TB drives. If I disconnected the 3 hard drives and saved the fstab file, Is it possible to reinstall the US OS from DVD, reconnect the 3 hard drives to the same 3 SATA ports, and install the fstab file would that work?

I suppose the answer depends on the blkid numbers. Are they determined by the hardware, like a mac address or by the OS?

Unless I get this resolved, I may have to start all over again. Please advise.
        The blkid numbers use the UUID standard which can be generated locally, but is statistically unique once generated from what I understand, no matter where its generated.

The renaming for the eth01 and eth02 ports has become standard practice for ethernet and wireless - can't tell you why, and I suppose there's a wiki somewhere with that standard, too

Grey Geek and oshunlvr are the two of the great high priests of BTRFS around here. I don't use it, because IMHO for a simple single user system it's a needless complexity, so I can't help you there; except to guess that your plan should work for your server. But there's always room for error
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

That's true, but now my problem is spreading as my main computer (Kubuntu 14.04.5LTS) is also down with a LAN connection.

Comment

I'm marking this post as SOLVED even though it is not. I've combined it into another post with greater detail. It would be nice if I could mark this post as [REPOSTED] or [ABANDONED].

Comment

Working...
            X