This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover Update Hangs

When I click the update alert icon Discover Update screen opens as expected. When the update button is clicked, nothing happens. Usually this is when the password dialog opens and it never opens. Can't close Discover because of unfinished tasks. Can't shutdown because discover cancels logout.

Is this a bug or is there a fix?

Originally posted by ted1191 View Post

Is this a bug or is there a fix?
    It's a well known bug that seemingly changes from day to day.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
      It's a well known bug that seemingly changes from day to day.
      Thanks. Hopefully someone can fix.

For the benefit of others:

apt-get update works and a few seconds after it is done the icon disappears.

Comment

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...2-7-in-Kubuntu

Comment

For the benefit of others: apt-get update works
          Yes, and--as you may know--to get the updates run:
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

For the past two updates, to both my desktop PC and the laptop, Discover has been working OK! I don't know if there is a cause-and-effect, but it seems it helps if you wait for Discover to do its thing before you click to the next step. For example, if it lists the updates at 0B (zero bytes), I wait until it comes up with the actual number and the actual size (in MB) of the updates. Superstition? Perhaps!
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

One more time with Discover and problems. Maybe, it just does run and updates slowly, but Discover is still a problem child - as has been noted and documented many times, here and elsewhere. Many people just forget to do a search first - either here or just on the good old "internets". That "forgot" part will always be true, but we need to encourage folks to search for problems, history, and possible solutions.

I'm sure that a really developer will figure out the fix to Discover, and then everyone will be happy. Until then, we need to convince people to not only search, but pay attention to solutions that are offered. Sure, some won't accept anything less than perfection - but that ain't happening soon.

Just my whine for the day.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

As posted earlier:

I do not see an announcement for this anywhere, but you can get the latest LTS release of Plasma 5.12.7, via the Kubuntu Updates PPA

This has quite a few bug fixes, quite a large portion of them relating to Discover

Eventually, this should make it into the official archives, as previous point releases of Plasma have, after some time of usage and testing.

I recommend using this PPA. It has been the standard way these sorts of updates have been delivered to users for years.

Comment

I did a new install on a laptop yesterday and Discover hangs here also. upgraded with terminal and everything is working fine now. Hope they get the bug sorted out soon. I like Discover but if it won't work it's really no good to anyone.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

The same problem that I have: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...e-BUGGED/page2 (post 17)

Comment

Working...
                  X