This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Global keyboard shortcut to open Dolphin not working

I've just upgraded from Kubuntu 16.04 LTS to 18.04.1 (by doing a fresh installation). One thing I've always had is the shortcut Ctrl+F9 to open a new Dolphin window. However, I can't seem to get this working on 18.04.

I've managed to setup Ctrl+F10 for Chrome, and Ctrl+F12 for Konsole (my other two favourites), as well as Ctrl+F1...F8 for my virtual desktops. All of these work just fine. However, though I can configure Dolphin to open with Ctrl+F9, nothing happens when I use that shortcut.

I've also tried other shortcuts for Dolphin (e.g., Ctrl+Shift+Q), and that doesn't work either. It sets the shortcut in Global Keyboard Shortcuts, and I can apply the settings, but nothing happens when I use the shortcut. For some reason Dolphin is refusing to being opened from a shortcut.

Insert image doesn't seem to be working, so I've uploaded a screenshot here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14TOWWsUZoJ128_nZXATxE26jQDDq5zaU/view?usp=sharing

Since the other shortcuts are working, I assume that I'm doing roughly the right thing, I just can't get it to work. Is anyone able to explain to me what I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Sam.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 23, 2018, 08:04 AM.

KDE Menu editor

(Handbook online: https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kde-w...dit/index.html)

KMenuEdit allows editing the menu of KDE application launchers.

KMenuEdit can be started either by right mouse button clicking the application launcher button on the panel and choosing Edit Applications..., or by typing kmenuedit in the KRunner line...

Advanced tab

Current shortcut key:

You can assign a special keyboard shortcut to launch your program.

Click the None button to the right of the Current shortcut key: checkbox.

The button text will change to Input... and you can press the key combination on your keyboard that you want to be assigned to your program.

You can reset the shortcut to None by using this button: .

Don't forget to save your setting by clicking the toolbar Save icon or using the File → Save menu item.

If the key is already used:

Last edited by Rog131; Sep 23, 2018, 05:32 AM.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

That's great, thank you. Assigning the shortcut using the menu editor works.

Comment

Working...
      X