This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a query

I have been using Opensuse since 12.1 and now Leap is getting insufferable. On the most recent update I have been locked out of the main kernel and had to boot through an older one.
    I have been using Kubuntu on a virtual machine and it seems to be able to fit my needs, although I will miss Yast. So I am wondering if there are Nvidia issues and if they are as bad as Leap.
    Thank you kindly,
    System:
    MSI X299 Tomahawk
    Intel i7-7800X 6 core
    Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB​

My Acer V3-771G has an NVidia GT 650M as its secondary video chip, which CANNOT be selected in the BIOS because it is OPTIMUS.
    I used the NVidia-348 driver in 16.04 and now, in 18.04 I'm using the 390 driver. Both worked like a champ and made my NVidia chip behave as if it were the primary chip. My desktop and every app I run is run on the NVidia chip. Love it! Just installed Forge and Optiprime on my Minecraft 1.12.2 and with FPS ranging up to 500+ my GPU chip remains at a cool 60C.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Unfortunately , it seems Nvidia hell is distro-agnostic, though I personally have no issues with the drivers on my budget GTX 1050, or the older card it replaced, unless I poke around and try to tweak things for no good reason.

You won't really know until you jump in and try.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        My Acer V3-771G has an NVidia GT 650M as its secondary video chip, which CANNOT be selected in the BIOS because it is OPTIMUS.
        My old laptop is dual graphic Optimus, and can switch between them in bios, or via the Nvidia Control Center, or command line. It is Bumblebee/Prime/whatever that never worked to my satisfaction, so gave up. It might work better now.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          My old laptop is dual graphic Optimus, and can switch between them in bios, or via the Nvidia Control Center, or command line. It is Bumblebee/Prime/whatever that never worked to my satisfaction, so gave up. It might work better now.
          When I first got this Acer V3-771G back in 2012 I could only use the GT 650M using bumblebee. And, rather than running my entire desktop and all apps using NVidia, Kubuntu 9.04 could only run apps using the NVidia chip if I started them in a Konsole using optirun or primus (I forget which) with some paramters, most of which never worked for me, so until Kubuntu 16.04, which made the NVidia GPU run like it was the primary, I never used the NVidia.

I read somewhere that Bumblebee is incompatible with 18..04.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Unfortunately , it seems Nvidia hell is distro-agnostic, though I personally have no issues with the drivers on my budget GTX 1050, or the older card it replaced, unless I poke around and try to tweak things for no good reason.

You won't really know until you jump in and try.
            I have a 1060 and no reason to poke around. But I jumped in and was happily surprised, it ran 100% better than Leap without the drivers installed and stayed that way after the installation, flawless!
            Thanks to both of you for the responses.
            System:
            MSI X299 Tomahawk
            Intel i7-7800X 6 core
            Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB​

Comment

Working...
            X