X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Desktop has a scroll bar on it

for you graphics guys ... 18.04.1 on an ASUS Q501LA laptop:

When I view the Desktop on the screen, it is too big vertically for the screen -- there is a scroll bar on the right of the screen I can use to scroll the Desktop up and down so I can see everything. Make sense? Is there a way to fix this so the Desktop fits on the screen with no scroll bars?

(This is a new installation I am doing for the spousal unit--things look good so far.)

Specs:

ASUS Q501LA laptop 15.6" Touch
    4th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-4200U mobile processor
    8GB system memory
    1920 x 1080 resolution, IPS
    Intel® HD Graphics 4400
    750 GB HDD
    Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Fast Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
    3 - USB 3.0 ports
    Battery: 4 hr, 38 min
    1.0MP webcam with microphone
    Voice recognition
    media reader: Secure Digital, Secure Digital High Capacity, SDXC and MultiMediaCard memory card
    Next-Gen Intel® Wireless-AC connectivity
    (no cd/dvd)
    Last edited by Qqmike; Aug 06, 2018, 01:24 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Can you change the resolution in System Settings and get it to stick between reboots?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Let's see. From Post #1, the laptop has resolution:
      1920 x 1080 resolution, IPS

I check System Settings > Hardware > Display, and it says:
      1920 x 1080
      I only see Display Enabled, Orientation Normal, Refresh Rate: Auto, and Scale Display (which I have no clue about).

Hmmm, looks like everything is set right? Or, are you saying I should change that resolution in the Hardware > Display menu? If so, to what?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It may be a long standing pesky bug from ages ago that seems to still has a couple of recent reports though it was fixed many years ago. I have never seen it myself, as far as I can remember.
        https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=294795

Try switching from the default Folder View desktop layout to the Desktop layout, and switch back to see if that fixes it.
        Also, try hitting alt-f12 to bring up the desktop widgets thingy and see if there isn't a stray one somehow becoming full-screen

You may have to delete ~.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc and ~/.config/plasmashellrc, basically to start over and hope it does not pop back up.

Comment

Given that you are seeing a vertical scroll bar tells me that the system is presenting/using a resolution that isn't as described. Check System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor > Rendering backend. Try setting it to XRender.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog: Check System Settings > Display and Monitor > Compositor > Rendering backend. Try setting it to XRender.
            I did that, it seems to have fixed it, I re-booted and it remains fixed. I think that should do it. That setting was on OpenGL2.0; the other choices were OpenGL3.1 and XRender, btw. I hope that sticks. Thanks, Snowhog.

Thanks, claydoh, I'm making a note of your note, also.
            Last edited by Qqmike; Aug 06, 2018, 04:59 PM.

Comment

After a bit try going back to opengl 3. Xrender is software rendering instead of gpu rendering, which can be slow but it is still quite usable on most newish hardware

Comment

claydoh: After a bit try going back to opengl 3
                OK, did that just now, and it works; I re-booted, and it still works. Actually, I meant to write Open GL 3.1 instead of Open GL 3.0 in post #6 (which I just now edited). So I have it set on Open GL 3.1 and working OK.

Thanks, guys. I'll mark it Solved, as I cross my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                X