This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Lost and Found

A small question: what is the 'lost and found' file on the launcher for?

It is a standardized place to store problematic files if a file system check finds something damaged. There usually is one on every Linux partition, at least for ext4 ones.

As was explained earlier during the overview of the FSSTND, Linux should always go through a proper shutdown. Sometimes your system might crash or a power failure might take the machine down. Either way, at the next boot, a lengthy filesystem check using fsck will be done. Fsck will go through the system and try to recover any corrupt files that it finds. The result of this recovery operation will be placed in this directory. The files recovered are not likely to be complete or make much sense but there always is a chance that something worthwhile is recovered. Each partition has its own lost+found directory. If you find files in there, try to move them back to their original location. If you find something like a broken symbolic link to 'file', you have to reinstall the file/s from the corresponding RPM, since your file system got damaged so badly that the files were mutilated beyond recognition. Below is an example of a /lost+found directory. As you can see, the vast majority of files contained here are in actual fact sockets. As for the rest of the other files they were found to be damaged system files and personal files. These files were not able to be recovered.
    http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesy...lostfound.html

Comment

And if you mean the menu with "launcher", the menu system also has a "lost and found" for applications that don't have a valid "Categories=" key in their .desktop file, so the menu system doesn't know under which category it should show the application, so it shows it under "Lost and Found".

More info: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9523...-kubuntu-16-04

Comment

The only entry I have there is Snapper GUI, which I thought I had deleted with Midnight Commander. Thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

Working...
        X