This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Thunderbird in 18.04.1

Is anyone successfully using T-Bird in 18.04.1?

I'm clicking Get Messages, and each time must enter my password.
    I've tried to fix this (in the usual ways) but don't seem to be able to get it to go.
    Anyone noticing this issue?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Yes, works for me.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Yes, works for me.
      I take that to mean that when you click Get Messages, you are not prompted to enter your password?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        I take that to mean that when you click Get Messages, you are not prompted to enter your password?
        Yes, for me as well. When I installed Thunderbird via muon and then fired it up, I was asked for my account name and email address. I entered that and Thunderbird set it self up automatically, and works perfectly. KWallet installed enabled BUT I haven't done anything with it. Its settings are default.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Boy, how strange here. I've spent a couple hours on this. In Muon, I purged T-Bird, then installed it again, and so on. I'm going to delete .thunderbird and try again.

Comment

OK, it did word: I deleted/purged everything T-Bird and started from scratch, working through the setup, as you described you did. But then I copied my old .thunderbird (profile contents only) over to my new .thunderbird, and that's when it screwed things up. First time I've had this happen. So, tomorrow--when I'm rested--I will do all this again, but this time will only copy over the address books and my user folders (Inbox, Other, etc.), and see if that will work. I must be copying some file/folder over to my new profile folder that is messing something up. Thanks.

Comment

I've never bothered copying the profile from an old install for years now since I switched to IMAP on Gmail.

I find that you just need to set up the login info in Thunderbird and it just populates the mail folders from the servers. There are some settings in Thunderbird that allows you to limit what mail it fetches (like only the last six months or so) and then it just gets the headers of the other mail. It doesn't usually take more than about 30 minutes or so to sync the first time and I'm on quite slow internet, about 1Mbit/sec.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

OK, Solved.

Short version:

I had a copy of my previous T-Bird profile folder from Kubuntu 14.04.
                To import my address books, personal and collected, abook.mab and history.mab, I simply copied them manually (Dolphin split screen helps a lot here).
                To import my mail folders from old to new profile folder, I also manually copied each mail folder I wanted copied into the new 18.04.1 T-Bird profile folder.

IOW, I did not copy the entire profile folder (contents) from old to new. Doing so (as I did above) causes some serious problems (that I don't have time to understand and probably don't need to understand).

Done deal.

Thanks, Rod J and others for your input.
                Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 31, 2018, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X