This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Netflix video will not play but audio plays

I have tried restarting FF and rebooting Kubuntu 18.04 also tried restarting my Xfinity gateway - Modem and router in one device -. The audio part of the stream plays but the video part never plays and shows the streaming wait icon. Netflix help shows they are up. My brother can play nextflix just fine on his old laptop. I think he is running 16.04.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Maybe check the DRM settings in Firefox?

Just click on Preferences in the menu and type DRM in the search box. Make sure "Play DRM-controlled content" is ticked. I'm pretty sure Netflix will need that setting turned on.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

annnnd , if you by chance have that firefox addon to force 1080p playback in netflix ,,,,,,,disable it , @hear I had the same problem as you describe on a system (14.04) that was playing just fine yesterday , disabling that addon fixed it .

+ you can now select HD playback in your netflix acct settings in the "playback" section .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
        Maybe check the DRM settings in Firefox?

Just click on Preferences in the menu and type DRM in the search box. Make sure "Play DRM-controlled content" is ticked. I'm pretty sure Netflix will need that setting turned on.
        Already checked. Some other problem.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          annnnd , if you by chance have that firefox addon to force 1080p playback in netflix ,,,,,,,disable it , @hear I had the same problem as you describe on a system (14.04) that was playing just fine yesterday , disabling that addon fixed it .

+ you can now select HD playback in your netflix acct settings in the "playback" section .

VINNY
          Bingo! I removed that add on. It didn't work right away. I had to goto Account settings > Playback and turn off the high playback setting and then turn it back on to reset it. It works now. Thanks for the solution. This is another exaple of why Kubuntu forums exists.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
            Bingo! I removed that add on. It didn't work right away. I had to goto Account settings > Playback and turn off the high playback setting and then turn it back on to reset it. It works now. Thanks for the solution. This is another exaple of why Kubuntu forums exists.
            Glad it worked for you ,,,,, and me ,

what made me think of it was that Netflix was working just fine on one box (that did not have that addon ) but not the TV's box ,,so I'm thinking whats the difference between the 2 (besides the version of Kubuntu) and I remembered using the addon on the TV's box , bingo .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
            X