This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Getting system lockups

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which logs I should be checking out. My system has been infrequently freezing. All of a sudden the display freezes and the mouse won't move. The only solution is resetting the PC.

The system had been stable for months, and this started happening last week. Sometimes I'll be reading a PDF when it happens, sometimes I'm opening YouTube from Firefox.

Since I can't identify a pattern, I don't know what is at fault. Any advice?

My system specs are:
    Kubuntu 18.04
    i7 2600s 2.8 x8 GHz CPU
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    gtx680 4GB DDR5 GPU, 430.26 driver
    SoundBlaster Audigy FX
    Cleveland-GL8 Motherboard
    Last edited by bradleypariah; Jun 20, 2019, 11:47 AM.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

~/.Xauthority
    dmseg
    /var/log/syslog
    /var/Xorg.0.log

IME random lockups are hardware related. If the consistently happen during a specific activity, there could be a software reason. PDFs and Videos use the GPU and RAM quite a bit. You might start checking out your hardware. Random lockups associated with activity can also be heat related. Clean your fans and verify they are working.

Please Read Me

Comment

Are you using Nvidia driver or nouveau driver for you video card? That can be a problem at times also.
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

A day or two after creating this thread here, I ended up recreating it over on the Ubuntu forums. Those that responded pretty much said the same things you guys are. I was using the Nvidia 430 driver, and besides system lockups, OBS was also crashing every time I tried to record. I rolled back to the 418 driver about a week ago, and I haven't experienced a single desktop crash since, and OBS records fine now. For the time being, I guess I'll not worry about the logs, and assume it was the driver. Thanks for your suggestions.
        Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
        Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Great resolution!

Yeah, sometimes the latest is not always the greatest
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
          X