X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTK2 Icons

Hello,

I am using Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and I have change my full HD monitor into a 4K monitor. Some Icons now are very tiny. I guess they are from GTK2 settings.
    I can see these settings of GTK2 in the system settings. But I can not change them. Where can I find the GTK2 Icons? I would like to replace them with bigger Icons.

Kind regards,
    Sigurd

Are these icons on your desktop? Are some icons big while other icons are small within the same area? Perhaps post a screenshot.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Hi bradleypariah,
      I will attach some some user surfaces of
      PDF-Shuffler
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PDF-Shuffler.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	644223

Audacity

Name:	Audacity.jpg
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	644224

Evolution

Name:	Evolution.jpg
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	644225

Gimp

Name:	Gimp.jpg
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	644226

All these programs take the setting for the text from GTK3 and so it is okay. But some icons are obviously from GTK2. They do not follow the factor in the system settings for the display and I can not change the size manually.

Kind regards
      Sigurd

Comment

Hmmm... I only have a 1920x1080 monitor, so I can't do much testing on my end. Instead of adjusting the Font settings in the Gnome Application Style (GTK) sub-menu, have you tried going to Settings > Hardware > Display and Monitor > Displays > Scale Display? Perhaps scale the whole desktop up, then individually reduce the fonts and/or UI elements that wind up too large?
        I'm only guessing, but it might be worth a shot.
        Last edited by bradleypariah; Jun 21, 2019, 10:55 AM.
        Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
        Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

You will get the problems when you'll buy a new 4k monitor. I don't want to miss it anymore. It is way better.
          Without the factor of 1.8 to scale the display nothing works fine. But this scaling only changes GTK3 settings and NOT the old GTK2 settings. As you can see above the text settings are taken from GTK3 and I can scale them in the system settings = no problem. But some of the icon settings are still taken from GTK2. And these settings I would like to change because the icons are way to small now.

Comment

I think you need something called kde-gtk-config, I have not done any research with this, but I found a thread on reddit where people were discussing this same topic. Here's the tool: https://github.com/KDE/kde-gtk-config

Here's their conversation: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...t_4k_displays/

Comment

"kde-gtk-config" is the surface you can see in the system settings when you click on "GNOME Application Style (GTK)". And right here I cannot change GTK2!

Comment

Ah. I wasn't aware. The way they referred to it made it sound like it was something extra. Did you see archfordummies's comment of "The scaling slider is busted. Ignore it and use "force font DPI" instead. A bunch of other things will need to be manually adjusted, and windows will be too small the first time they open. Once everything is set up, though, it's very usable"?

Comment

I have no problem with the fonts. The size often is taken from GTK3 and I can scale it in the system settings. I only have problems with some very small icons. Obviously the size is taken from the GTK2 settings. And in the system settings is nothing to adjust these settings. Please have a look at the screen shots above.

Comment

I saw your screenshots. Sorry. I'm just grasping at straws. I had remembered incorrectly about the DPI settings for Kubuntu. I hadn't ever used DPI in Kubuntu, but I specifically remember that turning up the DPI in Windows 10 affected the interface as well as the fonts. I was hoping it was going to be a workaround for your GTK2 icons. Apologies for making a useless suggestion. I don't have any more ideas. I wish I could've helped.

Comment

My guess is that the (un)affected icons aren't scalable, and so, can't/won't be affected by any changes to DPI.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There is no reason for apologies. I appreciate your afforts to help. And the display factor in the system settings has an effect on the GTK3 settings and this way on the size of the fonts. Some applications interpret these GTK3 settings in a different way. Without the display factor some applications would have big font characters and some small font characters. Only with the display factor the font size in all applications, that take the settings from GTK3, the font size is similar.
                        I guess nobody can help here. The creators of the applications that still use GTK2 settings have to change their applications for using GTK3 settings. Or they should implement that everybody can change the size of fonts and icons independently as you can find it in LibreOffice or Dolphin for instance.
                        Thank you very much. It was nice to talk to you.
                        Kind regards
                        Sigurd

Comment

Hi,
                          Is there any opportunity to ask the different software developer to change their software from GTK 2 completely to GTK 3? Everybody who has a 4K monitor has the same problem with these tiny icons. Software that still relies on GTK 2 settings is not good usable anymore.
                          Kind regards,
                          Sigurd

Comment

Working...
                          X