This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't Post in EOL Section?

How come I Can't Post in EOL Section? And in fact don't understand why the EOL for 16.04 says April, 2019 when Ubuntu is April 2024?

Just found the info in case other new to Kubuntu didn't know.
    Trusty 14.04 LTS end of life, and end of Kubuntu support for Xenial 16.04 LTS

Unfortunately I just installed kubuntu-16.04.5-desktop on one of my good computers. I don't see there being any complaints from the OS yet.
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

I'm looking in to this. It seems that a change was made by Canonical (that's what I'm questioning) making 16.04 et al a five year supported release. If that turns out to be factual, then I'll re-open the 16.04 forum.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think you are correct in closing the Forum due to the EOL Date, though there may be some hanging on to it and needed help? I was just very surprised to see this.

End of Standard Support
      April 2021

Refer to also, but most likely is not a concern to most on the Forum
      "Extended Security Maintenance"
      "Extended Security Maintenance is a paid option through Ubuntu Advantage to get extended support and security updates for select server packages."

Unfortunately?:

"Maintenance updates will be provided for 5 years for Ubuntu Desktop,
      Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Cloud, Ubuntu Core, and Ubuntu Kylin. All the
      remaining flavours will be supported for 3 years."
      Last edited by Nasty7; Jun 05, 2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

The Kubuntu dev team decides the length of the LTS lifespan, and they don't have the manpower or the means to support Plasma for far longer than KDE themselves will support it. Three years is reasonable.

Comment

I understand and agree, was just surprised as I don't follow these things closely. Don't you want to support folks that are extending their use of 16.04? or is that not possible?

Comment

If Canonical is no longer supporting bug fixes/security updates for an LTS (16.04), then a wise user would consider a strategy to move on. The longer that no updates are made available, the less secure the release becomes. I think it is fair for this community to assist someone with moving on, but in reality there is less that can be done to support the EOL version once that date is past.

I was on 16.04 LTS, and I thought it was a very good Kubuntu version. However, once the first bug-fix update to 18.04 LTS came in July last year, I jumped all over it and haven't looked back. 18.04 LTS has been very good to me. And still getting updates. When 20.04 LTS comes out, I'll follow the same pattern.

I don't ever want to be on the internet with any unsupported, un-updated set of anybody's software. You're just asking for trouble.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I was confused, this answers my question:
              "Extended Security Maintenance is a paid option through Ubuntu Advantage to get extended support and security updates for select server packages."

"select server packages." Being the operative words.

Comment

A more operative phrase might be "paid option", as in coming out of your pocket !

But really, if you are using 16.04 on a personal system that is never connected to a network, then you should experience no problems other than your software becoming outdated.
                Last edited by jglen490; Jun 05, 2019, 12:24 PM.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                X