Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more boot and cryptic messages at prompt..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] No more boot and cryptic messages at prompt..

Hi

I installed Kubuntu on a Mac Mini a while ago (Mac Mini that is at least 5/6 years old) and I'm pretty sure it's Kubuntu 18.04. It was working pretty fine till recently and suddenly one day instead of booting I got that on display at boot:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	iris.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	649451
    Any ideas what's wrong ? Not sure what these cryptic messages mean

Thanks

Vincèn

Did this just starting happening randomly or after a kernel upgrade? Doing some searching on the following:
    Code:
    [FONT=arial][SIZE=2]Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e
    MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list
    Couldn't get size: 0x800000000000000e[/SIZE][/FONT]
    Which returns hits with people having issues on older systems with the 4.14 and 4.15 kernels. The following article states booting with noefi grub command:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2377181

Another article got it working with different grub commands:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2407705

In another article someone suggested this is due to:
    The errors seem to be related to an attempt to import UEFI keys for Secure Boot.
    And your older Mac mini may not support what UEFI/Secure Boot is trying to do.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
      Did this just starting happening randomly or after a kernel upgrade? Doing some searching on the following:.
      Sorry for late answer but had no time to take care of this problem earlier The problem appeared without any upgrade or anything similar, just rebooting the computer and bam ! And each time I start it now I get stuck on that message So not sure if my only choice is to reinstall and hope problem doesn't come back or try to fix it but no idea where to look for ! I have seen links you state but it looks to be more some problem after some upgrades which is not my case here...

Comment

Have you tried entering 'help' for a list of built-in commands?
        I remember seeing something similar when my HD was crashing, I typed 'help', it took me a while to work out that 'exec fsck' would probably do something, and it did. Fixed the disk - enough to recover and back-up anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Have you tried entering 'help' for a list of built-in commands?
          I remember seeing something similar when my HD was crashing, I typed 'help', it took me a while to work out that 'exec fsck' would probably do something, and it did. Fixed the disk - enough to recover and back-up anyway.
          Damn didn't expect problem on HD would cause such effects at boot I did a fsck of the main partition that had few inodes problem and then it rebooted like a charm

Thanks a lot for the very good suggestion

Comment

Well, nobody expects the Spanish inquisition either... (30 sec. video, short version :·)
            Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jun 26, 2019, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X