This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Reboot after Package Update

I've been updating 18.04 regularly. I just recently received a note to upgrade 3 packages, console-setup (1,178ubuntu2.6), console-setup-linux (1.178ubuntu2.6), and keyboard-configuration (1,178ubuntu2.6), I update all in Update Discover and but nothing seems to happen. I get an error message when I try to close Update-Discover that says "Cannot close the application, there are tasks that need to be done". I hit the greyed out "Cancel" button and it is inactive. If I try to shutdown the system I get the same message and the system will not shutdown. Do I do a hard shutdown? Help.

Just did a hard reset. The 3 packages that failed updating have now updated. No adverse effects so far.

Comment

You can do yourself a favor, and stop using Update Discover. It is much, much better to just open a konsole and issue:

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, just tried it. 0 updates as expected.

Comment

I check for updates every time I boot into my system. Ensures that it's 'up to date' all the time.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree that the Konsole way of doing updates is more reliable, but sometimes I get messages that say it cannot unlock certain dependencies. That usually happens when the Discover method isn't working properly. For example, today I got a blue icon notification, so I tried to use apt to update. That's when I got the message. So I tried Discover, which said I had one update, and after 'checking updates' it said I had none, and the blue icon disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
              I agree that the Konsole way of doing updates is more reliable, but sometimes I get messages that say it cannot unlock certain dependencies. That usually happens when the Discover method isn't working properly. For example, today I got a blue icon notification, so I tried to use apt to update. That's when I got the message. So I tried Discover, which said I had one update, and after 'checking updates' it said I had none, and the blue icon disappeared.
              You must have Discover set to update automatically and it was in that process when you opened a Konsole and tried the CLI commands. The lock file was active so your CLI commands failed. Turn off automatic updates in Discover, or, uninstall it. Muon works better as a gui to the repository anyway. It only lacks the pretty pictures, which are unnecessary anyway.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG: Discover, or, uninstall it. Muon works better as a gui to the repository anyway.
                I see (in Muon) that plasma-discover is installed. Is that the package to un-install? And after doing so, will Muon continue to offer updates through the update icon in the system tray?

btw, MarkS, for your issues with Discover, you might also see:
                https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...er-and-updates
                Last edited by Qqmike; Aug 21, 2018, 03:53 PM.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  I see (in Muon) that plasma-discover is installed. Is that the package to un-install? And after doing so, will Muon continue to offer updates through the update icon in the system tray?

btw, Mark, for your issues with Discover, you might also see:
                  https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...er-and-updates
                  Works for me.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	muon_update_settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	643965
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK, I removed plasma-discover, and have Check for Updates marked in Muon Settings, and I'll test this to see if I get update notifications in the system tray. Thanks.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                    X