This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi connects, then all Wifi stops

I just installed 18.04 64 bit on an NMVe SSD, all seemed to go well. However, I cannot maintain a wifi connection during or after the install. Within a minute of successfully connecting to my router, all wifi functions stop. I am unable to find any available wifi routers after this occurs.

I have two wifi network devices, an internal Netgear and an EDIMAX USB. The Netgear is where I am having this issue. The EDIMAX is not being recognized. I have the driver for the EDIMAX, but it of course requires make to compile, which is not installed by default, so cannot compile. I would appreciate any suggestions on how I might resolve this problem and get my new and super fast Kubuntu system up and screaming, with wifi fully functional.

Do you know which netgear card you have?
    is there any way to connect via Ethernet?
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Not certain of model without shutting down and opening tower case, but here is the lspci output:
      08:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2790 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe

In regards to ethernet connections, not accessible without moving entire desktop to another room.

Comment

That's a pretty old chip and rather weak. Your problem may be that your link quality is below 40/70 because you are too far away from the router. Or, encryption is causing it to crash. The rt2800pci supports that chip.
        Have you installed the firmware?
        sudo apt update
        sudo apt install firmware-ralink

I don't know if that firmware is in the repository but no harm in trying to install it.

You can turn off the encryption using:
        sudo modprobe -rv rt2800pci
        sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci nohwcrypt=Y
        IF that helps or solves your problem then you can make it permanent by creating
        /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf
        and in it putting:

options rt2800pci nohwncrypt=Y

and saving the file. It will be active on the next reboot.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 12, 2018, 06:33 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GG, is that nohwcrypt or nohwencrypt?
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

parm: nohwcrypt: Disable hardware encryption. (bool)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              parm: nohwcrypt: Disable hardware encryption. (bool)
              You've got it spelled both ways in the above post.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

There is no internet connection to run an apt update.

Comment

Originally posted by corcaigher View Post
                  Not certain of model without shutting down and opening tower case, but here is the lspci output:
                  08:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2790 Wireless 802.11n 1T/2R PCIe

In regards to ethernet connections, not accessible without moving entire desktop to another room.
                  Well, without a stable WiFi connection, you might have no choice but to move your PC so you can connect via ethernet cable so updates can be completed and GreyGeek's suggestion in post #4 tried.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just thought I'd throw this out there: Bluetooth is going through a full-blown meltdown right now. There's a known bug that affects not just Linux, but Apple and Windows as well:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1721271

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ht201542

https://superuser.com/questions/1230...h-interference

On the off-chance that this is the reason for your troubles (and if you have bluetooth), test your connection while disabling bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                      GG, is that nohwcrypt or nohwencrypt?

Thanks, Fixed it.
                      One can check for themselves by using the modinfo command:
                      modinfo rt2800pci

Comment

Working...
                      X