This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspend results in black screen

(I hope I am in the correct forum.) I recently installed Kubuntu 18.04. I have been running KDE Neon (based on Ubuntu 16.04?). If I allow my laptop to suspend to RAM I get a black screen on wake up. It does appear to wake as the power button changes from blinking to solid. This is on an Asus UX303U laptop 12 GB RAM configured with a 13.18 GB Linux Swap partition. This laptop has a screen resolution of 3200x1800. It also has 2 video cards that Windows switches between depending on workload – an Intel (?) for better battery life or an Nvidia for better performance. I have tried both the Nvidia and Nouveau drivers and both result in black screen. In googling and searching the forums, it does not appear that this is a common problem. I did not have this problem in KDE Neon with no swap partition.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.

This is sort of a deal breaker.
    "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal
    Asus UX303U Laptop: i7-6500U 2.5GHz; 12GB RAM; 3200x1800
    HP Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G; 16GB RAM; 3840x2160, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060​

Are you suspending to RAM or to DISK? Running Neon you had to be suspending to RAM because you said you didn't have a swap file.

In doing an Internet search myself I noticed that this problem isn't that common. However, here is a hibernate solution which may give you ideas:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2392205

I also found this interesting post:
    https://linuxx.info/kubuntu-general-...-help-required

but the number of people affected by the 12.5.4 to 12.5.5 update in Bionic appear minuscule. Of course, being a help forum for Kubuntu, KFN will get posts about this problem more frequently.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 31, 2018, 12:07 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Are you suspending to RAM or to DISK? Running Neon you had to be suspending to RAM because you said you didn't have a swap file.
      Interesting question. I thought I was suspending, not hibernating -- suspending being to RAM. I set up the swap partition when I ran into the current problem. In settings I selected "suspend" on lid close and also sleep from keyboard buttons. I have since quit suspending, but that is a hassle if I just want to pause for an hour or so on battery. I have to shut down and restart.

Thanks for the articles. I will read them.
      "It is not our task to secure the triumph of truth, but merely to fight on its behalf."--Blaise Pascal

Comment

In doing an Internet search myself I noticed that this problem isn't that common. However, here is a hibernate solution which may give you ideas:
        https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2392205
        I do dual boot with Windows, so I am not sure about disabling secure boot.

I also found this interesting post:
        https://linuxx.info/kubuntu-general-...-help-required

but the number of people affected by the 12.5.4 to 12.5.5 update in Bionic appear minuscule. Of course, being a help forum for Kubuntu, KFN will get posts about this problem more frequently.
        I enabled the PPA for the 5.12.5 bug fix, but didn't see any change.

Comment

I wish I could be of more help, but I never use suspend or hibernate. I have my laptop set to shutdown for any and all emergencies, or just closing the lid. It takes about 10 seconds to shutdown and about a minute to get a desktop back from a cold boot. My laptops requires about 90W so when I turn it on in the morning I usually leave it on all day till I go to bed, even if I am not using it. That amounts to about 6 cents of electricity. My duplex laser is on in quite mode all the time. That's another 6 cents. So, 12 cents a day. Meh.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; May 31, 2018, 03:59 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Good point ;-) I often have VirtualBox open running a couple of specialized Windows applications that Wine or Crossover won't run. Do you know if it will shut it down in an orderly fashion? How about open Linux apps?

Comment

Originally posted by okie2003 View Post
              Good point ;-) I often have VirtualBox open running a couple of specialized Windows applications that Wine or Crossover won't run. Do you know if it will shut it down in an orderly fashion? How about open Linux apps?
              I've never had any problem shutting down open applications, including VB, Steam, Minecraft, GoogleEarth, and WINE apps like IQUAN Developer. I set my KDE desktop to start with a new, empty session, rather than popping open things that were open when I shut down.

Comment

Thanks, I will consider doing that.

Comment

Working...
                X