This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover - ongoing woes?

Panel advice: updates available, I stoke up Discover. It goes nowhere. What sudo apt update reveals:
    ~$ sudo apt list --upgradable -a
    Listing... Done
    x11-xkb-utils/bionic-updates 7.7+3ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 [upgradable from: 7.7+3]
    x11-xkb-utils/bionic,now 7.7+3 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 7.7+3ubuntu0.18.04.1]

Hello?

The upgrade here went OK this morning via Discover update notification (same package).
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Looks like it got half-done. Still telling me updates available, Discover said one package, did that and as usual the blue spot, logout/in and no more panel symbol, apt list says all clear - whew! looked like it needed to install one package then reinstall the old one.
      Cheers
      F Bt

Comment

I don't know if this is the right place to post this... but.
        "Discover" wont install. It says "No network connection available". Is there an easy fix?(if there is ever one);-)
        Last edited by 2ysur; Jun 06, 2018, 05:56 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

Discover is getting better, but there are still some glitches. The only one I have on Bionic Beaver at the moment is that when security updates are announced (the red dot icon) the icon changes to a blue dot after the security updates are done, even though there is nothing new to install. I generally use Muon to check packages and Discover to do updates, although the terminal is a little faster. They're still working out the kinks on this application, I think. As for not installing programs, maybe 2ysur did not have an internet connection after all. Check that first.

Comment

The Internet was connected but Discover was unable to see it

Comment

Muon, Synaptic, apt, aptitude are all better than Discover. It's always been half-baked - at best.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

It works OK in Neon, but its just a collection pretty pictures. You can install apps one at a time. It is a threaded app so as one is installing you can tell it to install another. I've had 10-15 apps being installed at the same time, in addition to the auxillary apps required by a particular applications. In Muon you mark the apps you want to install or remove, and then trigger the entire action to take place at once. No pretty pictures but fast and easy.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X