Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/mnt is the traditional place to mount fixed devices from fstab. /media is normally used for removable devices like USB drives.

I have been using Linux for more than 20 years so I usually default to tradition.

It is OK to use /media if that is your preference. I know of no reason not to.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      /mnt is the traditional place to mount fixed devices from fstab. /media is normally used for removable devices like USB drives.

I have been using Linux for more than 20 years so I usually default to tradition.

It is OK to use /media if that is your preference. I know of no reason not to.
      Thank you very much for your attention and detailed response.
      It's good for me, because it's always good to keep learning, I thank you very much for the explanation, thank you.
      I changed all my units mounted to /mnt/...

Following this thread (I mention it here because, after looking for information apparently the problem has to do with the assembly mode, although I have not been able to solve it), I have the following problem:
      Using dolphin, access without problems to the assembled unit, read and write permissions, all ok.
      But when I run the rsync command, I get the following error message:
      Code:
      [COLOR=#FF0000]r[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]sync: failed to set times on "/mnt/externo/backups/pc/": Operation not permitted (1)[/COLOR]
      I have looked for information about it, what I have found has not helped me to solve the problem.
      Indicate that, the destination unit (mounted) is NTFS.
      The same rsync command executed also on a mounted unit (but in this case, it is a second mounted hard disk, not through 192.168.0.1 ...) works without problems.
      From what I have been able to read, it has something to do with respect to changed mount options to default, re-mount file system, but I am not able to solve it.
      As a note to add that, yesterday I changed the firmware to my router by dd-wrt, but this happened exactly the same in my original firmware.
      The only difference that I have observed with this firmware is that, in the input line of the fstab I can put both vers = 1.0 and vers = 2.0, only with the 2.0 I do not have write permissions.

Thanks and regards!

Comment

rsync doesn't work with NTFS or SAMBA unless you use the correct options. Both NTFS and SAMBA do not recognize Posix file system requirements, like permissions and ownership, thus will fail unless property optioned when starting.

You will be better served if you start a new thread with a descriptive title like; "What are the options needed to use RSYNC with SAMBA?"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          rsync doesn't work with NTFS or SAMBA unless you use the correct options. Both NTFS and SAMBA do not recognize Posix file system requirements, like permissions and ownership, thus will fail unless property optioned when starting.
          Ok, thanks, I understand

You will be better served if you start a new thread with a descriptive title like; "What are the options needed to use RSYNC with SAMBA?"
          Yes, you have reasson...sorry this question in this thread, I go to start a new thread.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X