Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA GT215 GeForce GT 240 Performance tweaks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA GT215 GeForce GT 240 Performance tweaks?

Nvidia guru's help! Just kidding with the Exclamation point I was wondering if I can get just a little better Graphics performance out of this old Vista pc with Kubuntu on it. Don't get me wrong it's not all that bad considering, but there is a little "screen tearing" for lack of better term. I did a little research and explored a little in the Nvidia Software but don't want to crash anything and make more work for myself on this one.

The thing I'm looking at now is "PowerMizer" which seems to me -as a noob to graphics stuff - the only easy tweak. It is also said to cause more work for the GPU, and Fan. I feel like I just need a little better edge without adding a better card. This pc is not well supported either, no BIOS Update and no drivers on the official HP Page. I will up the "PowerMizer" for now to see what happens, any other info would be great!

Code:
    newuser@newuser-GC676AA-ABA-m8150n:~$ inxi -Fxz
    System:    Host: newuser-GC676AA-ABA-m8150n Kernel: 4.15.0-51-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
            Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.7 (Qt 5.9.5) Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
    Machine:   Device: desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: GC676AA-ABA m8150n serial: N/A
            Mobo: ASUSTek model: Basswood3G v: 1.05 serial: N/A BIOS: Phoenix v: 5.09 date: 06/08/2007
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core2 Quad (-MCP-) arch: Conroe rev.7 cache: 4096 KB
            flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 19201
            clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 1628 MHz 2: 1600 MHz 3: 1600 MHz 4: 1633 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT215 [GeForce GT 240] bus-ID: 01:00.0
            Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
            Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz
            OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 240/PCIe/SSE2 version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107 Direct Render: Yes
    Audio:     Card-1 Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
            Card-2 NVIDIA High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
            Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-51-generic
    Network:   Card-1: Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: ff00 bus-ID: 00:19.0
            IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
            Card-2: Gemtek WUBR-177G [Ralink RT2571W] driver: rt73usb v: 2.3.0 usb-ID: 002-002
            IF: wlx00c0a8f5acaf state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (2.9% used)                                                                                                                             
            ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3320820AS size: 320.1GB                                                                                                                 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 19G used: 8.2G (47%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1                                                                                                       
            ID-2: /home size: 274G used: 399M (1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5                                                                                                  
    RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present                                                                                                     
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:45C                                                                                                           
            Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A                                                                                                                                   
    Info:      Processes: 191 Uptime: 22 min Memory: 1733.1/3000.3MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.4.0                                                                  
            Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo sensors
    coretemp-isa-0000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Core 0:       +63.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 1:       +62.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 2:       +60.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
    Core 3:       +59.0°C  (high = +82.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1:        +39.0°C  (crit = +75.0°C)

nouveau-pci-0100
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    fan1:           0 RPM
    temp1:        +47.0°C  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                        (crit = +105.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                        (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 06, 2019, 03:22 PM. Reason: Change to correct code block
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Any tweaks IMHO, are going to be done through the NVidia GUI installed with Nvidia 340.107. I don't play with the NVidia GUI on my PC much, because it usually ends up being worse
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

screen tearing may be a Plasma specific problem/

There may be a number of fixes for this, but the KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1 option seems to work for the most number of people:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...m_medium=web2x

Comment

Don't know why all that code block text was blue. I tried to fix it to no avail.

I did set the "PowerMizer" to "Performance" I think that was the term. It didn't seem to make a difference, but it may be hard to tell. I'll take some pics later, I'm on another computer. I did some more research and can't find much. I thinks it's just something we have to live with on Linux with some pc's and certain hardware.

I want to experiment with more graphics stuff as I've had the most issues graphics and screen tearing, mostly during scrolling in google chrome, and even other browsers. I found some info for Intel and AMD that I will try soon also.

I'll try that claydoh! I don't want to reinstall, and would like to stick with Kubuntu if possible, so will definitely try some stuff as long as it's not too risky.

Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post

I'll try that claydoh! I don't want to reinstall, and would like to stick with Kubuntu if possible, so will definitely try some stuff as long as it's not too risky.

Thanks guys
          This fix is not risky at all, and can easily be undone.
          On that reddit post are other tweaks to try to fix the tearing, which can be tried using the Nvidia Settings application.

I don't think you will gain a whole lot of actual performance, if any, with any custom tweaks, imo. Updated drivers may work on the 'ole GPU, but they also may not, though it is unlikely to hurt things. I don't think it is worth the effort trying the driver PPA that has fresher Nvidia stuff, but that is up to you if you want to try that.

If you still have scrolling issues in Chrome and/or firefox, try checking these:

Make sure that you have hardware acceleration enabled in your browser and supported by your GPU driver.

Google Chrome / Chromium

Go to Settings -> Advanced -> System
          Check Use hardware acceleration when available
          For debug open this URL (paste it into your address bar):

chrome://gpu/
          Firefox

Go to Preferences -> Performance
          Un-check Use recommended performance settings
          Check Use hardware acceleration when available
          For debug open this URL (paste it into your address bar):

about:support
          and look for Graphics info

Comment

One thing at a time. I'm still struggling to use nano!

I was able to do number 1 on that list.

Number two: ~/.config/kwinrc: does not seem to apply as I don't have a '[Compositing] ' section in my file. And don't have the:
            'MaxFPS=xxx or RefreshRate=xxx.
            Perhaps this don't apply to me as I don't have a 'high refresh rate monitor'. My Auto Refresh Rate looks to be 59.95

This is all I have:
            Code:
            [Compositing]
            OpenGLIsUnsafe=false

[Desktops]
            Number=1

[Effect-PresentWindows]
            BorderActivate=9
            BorderActivateAll=1
            BorderActivateClass=9
            I will carry on with the Browser suggestions once I know this is okay.
            Last edited by Nasty7; Jun 06, 2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

It seems that #1 on the reddit site has done some good! Chrome scrolls very well now. Other things may be opening a little cleaner now also, simple stuff like LO Writer, System Monitor, File Manager etc. Chrome was the most important to me.

Of course, I believe Chrome is always set to 'Use hardware acceleration when available' I've never seen it now on a new install. I did check it just in case.

I made the Firefox Setting but it didn't seem to make a difference. No worries about that for now.

Comment

Also, nano is not very intuitive, though I know it is very popular. Any other suggestions, or should I just learn some more as to how to use it. Just Saving and Closing is not intuitive at all, and after Ctrl X, Y, it does not tell you what to do after, so I've just been hitting Enter out of desperation, and it works. Like I said not good instructions in the bottom text and not very intuitive.

Comment

Nano is a piece of cake compared to some others - all the options are listed on the bottom of the screen! Then just follow the prompts.

O.K., it's not pretty, it's not a GUI, and it's totally retro. Kinda like me!
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
                    One thing at a time. I'm still struggling to use nano!

I was able to do number 1 on that list.
                    If you are referring to the redditt post, I don't think that doing more than one of them is going to make things 'better', so it will be worth undoing the last one and logging out or rebooting before trying another. I don't think it will actually hurt doing multiple 'fixes', but there is always a chance. I referred to that page as it actually explains what the best one does, as well as one or two of the other fixes, some of which actually are quite old and not as productive on a modern Plasma desktop

as to the kwinrc, you would ass the section. I think ignore the 'MaxFPS=xxx or RefreshRate=xxx', really, unless your hardware + plasma version match whoever suggested that.

Nano is fun, isn't it? Having figured that out, I'll let you know that Kate/Kwrite can edit existing system files without needing to be run as root/sudo.

Comment

Another thing to look at in terms of performance will not be related to the graphics. Is that 3gb of ram showing in your stats?

If so, look at swap usage to see if any is being used when you experience this. That would definitely make a browser on an old cpu with few cores and a spinning hard disk stutter, especially with multiple tabs open.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        1. I don't think that doing more than one of them is going to make things 'better'

2. as to the kwinrc, you would ass the section. I think ignore the 'MaxFPS=xxx or RefreshRate=xxx', really, unless your hardware + plasma version match whoever suggested that.

3. Nano is fun, isn't it? Having figured that out, I'll let you know that Kate/Kwrite can edit existing system files without needing to be run as root/sudo.
                        1. Okay

2. "you would ass the section." What does this mean? I didn't do anything with this because my file did not have this at all: 'MaxFPS=xxx or RefreshRate=xxx'

3. I know others in Linux community love nano and it is probably the most popular but I just never found any good simple tutorials on how to use it. Sometimes the Execution don't work, and I feel like I'm stuck messing things up, and we don't want to mess up while creating system files do we LOL. I was using gedit I think, but could not install it to Mint's KDE so just abandoned editing files unless absolutely necessary. In ending, I need to know how to use nano! help help help lol.

Comment

You don't have to use nano, or any other command-line editor. You can just launch Kate and navigate to the file to be edited, even if it's a root owned file. When you 'save' in Kate, if the file is a root owned file, or you are trying to write it to a root owned directory, you will be prompted for your password. Easy. Simple.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Lol ADD that section, not ass, Stoopid autocorrect, I think. I didn't catch that, sorry.

As to nano, this is a universal tool so that it is valid and works in any distro no matter the desktop (or lack thereof). Many people give command line instructions as they work everywhere and take much fewer steps to describe.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys, the next time I need to text edit I'll start a thread for sure. I feel helpless without this knowledge.

I tried Kate also, and found a tutorial that looked simple, but still could not do it. I've done it before but that was years ago and on 14.04

Comment

Working...
                              X