This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Up Multiple Monitors?

I've recently salvaged a old LCD panel from a laptop that was really out of date, and plan on using it as an LCD display along with my second monitor after I get the associated controller and fabricobble a mount for it. Does KDE support the ability for > 2 monitors? What the typical hardware setup for this?

I would imagine that I would get an HDMI splitter similar to (https://www.amazon.com/Switch-GANA-S...=hdmi+splitter). Is this set up correct?

My graphics card is the Nvidia Geforce 750M
    Last edited by PhysicistSarah; May 24, 2018, 05:43 PM.

Normally dual monitors would be set up in System Settings > Hardware > Display and Monitor. I'm not sure about the HDMI thing. But should work.
    Good Luck.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Generally, no on the splitter. They copy the signal, so while it might work to display the same image on two monitors, it's not the same as dual monitors. The monitors would have to be resolution compatible and likely X wouldn't detect either of them so you'd be manually configuring the output. The only video connections that can support more than one monitor on a single output are Display Port and Thunderbolt.

To actually have dual monitors in the true sense first your video card has to support them, then you can configure them as you wish. AFAIK, KDE (or Plasma 5 as it's now known) can support as many monitors that you can connect and support with drivers. I have 4 on one of my work systems using a GTX 1080 nVidia card. It's an engineering sample but I believe the 1060 can drive 4 also.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hmm, I've found that there is such a thing as a USB to HDMI converter for video signals. Are there typically drivers in the driver tree for such devices? Unfortunately, many of the vendors on Amazon say that they don't offer drivers for Mac/*buntu, but then again, may of them say that for just about everything, and there are other drivers which seem to work just fine.

Comment

Working...
        X