This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Brother DCP-J973N scanner not detected

I recently bought this three-in-one unit to replace a dead Canon and I've installed the drivers via this guide:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/15

The printer works fine but the scanner is not detected. There was an error about ia32-libs not being available during driver install but I installed the two suggested replacements (lib32z1 & lib32ncurses5) but still no joy with the scanner.

This is a WiFi model only, there are no USB ports I can try it with. RWiFi router is a brand new TP-Link Archer C7.

Any ideas?

Cheers in advance.
    Constant change is here to stay!

One thing you can try if you printer is able to set a fixed IP address for the printer on your network. one that is well outside the normal range mine is at 252
    That way DHCP will never re assign it a new address. Which is a good thing.

I've never used your printer model but have set up my son's Brother lazer printer and scanner and it is working ok. I used the info on this page to get it going.
    Good luck.
    http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...en&redirect=on
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Have you installed xsane?
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately, this will have to go one the back burner! I have the most dreadful summer cold and can't concentrate. My head feels like a jackhammer!

Comment

OK. I dropped a bunch of Aspirin down my throat (I'm now barely functional, I have to work later for a few hours) and ran:

brsaneconfig4 -a name=(name your device) model=(model name) ip=xx.xx.xx.xx

Everything in the garden is now rosy! Both Skanlite on my machine and SimpleScan on the boss's Mint machine now see the scanner!

Cheers guys.

I might even manage a couple of beers while working today!

Comment

Glad you go it going. and hope your cold is better soon.
            please mark the thread as solved.
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Thanks. I hope so too, I'm closing up on Sunday to go to a beer festival!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                Thanks. I hope so too, I'm closing up on Sunday to go to a beer festival!
                Aspirin and Champagne have been suggested as helping to alleviate the effects of Alzheimer. But, like Beer, Champagne's active agent is Ethanol which, in the brain, competes with hemoglobin for Oxygen. And, when Ethanol captures the Oxygen it oxidizes to form Acetaldehyde, which consumes more Oxygen to form Acetic acid (Vinegar). Double whammy! Lack of Oxygen in the brain manifests itself as drunkenness when too much alcohol is consumed. Acetaldehyde is even worse, like formaldehyde, it attacks and destroys neurons, along with cells in the eyes, liver, pancreas, and kidneys.

Enjoy your beer!

PS- The Liver metabolizes Ethanol by utilizing glucose. When it runs out of glucose it cannot protect itself from the aldehyde and vinegar. To minimize that have some Glucose tables handy and pop a couple every so often. You'll have fewer hangovers, too. Or, so the "experts" say.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; May 25, 2018, 09:21 AM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, the beer festival is partly work and play. I will say hello to my regular suppliers and hopefully snag a free beer or two. I also want to try any new breweries that might be there, if they are any good I may stock their beer. Some of them are still pretty dire! Also, some of my regulars ( I run a craft beer bar with the "boss") expect me to turn up and have a beer with them. The weather looks good too, since it's an outdoor event. I will try to limit my intake as I have to open on Monday

Comment

Working...
                  X