This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attempt to install newer version of KGPG

I now have the version of KGPG that is in the repository for 16.04. It's dated and doesn't work all that well, so I downloaded a newer version and tried to install it with Gdebi. I got the following error message:

This package is uninstallable
    Dependency is not satisfiable: libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.14.22~)

The version I was trying to install is: kgpg_16.04.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu16.04~ppa61_amd64.deb

Can I get the library somewhere or will installing it break something else?

Originally posted by lcharles View Post
    I now have the version of KGPG that is in the repository for 16.04. It's dated and doesn't work all that well, so I downloaded a newer version and tried to install it with Gdebi. I got the following error message:

This package is uninstallable
    Dependency is not satisfiable: libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.14.22~)

The version I was trying to install is: kgpg_16.04.3-0ubuntu1~ubuntu16.04~ppa61_amd64.deb

Can I get the library somewhere or will installing it break something else?

I'm gonna guess you grabbed a package from a ppa somewhere? Like here

https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...orts/+packages

That's gonna be built against an updated Plasma, etc so you would be much better off adding that ppa and updating your system from that instead of trying to Hodge lodge the missing bits you need for the kgpg, which likely would break things elsewhere. You'll get a more up to date system as well.

Comment

OK, I added the xenial backports Kubuntu ppa listed above which is where I believe the update for Kgpg to be. However when I do sudo apt-get update I get a list of 83 packages of 139 Mbytes that it wants to install. That doesn't seem like a good idea when all I want is Kgpg. Is is safe to install all of those updates; Will it break my Kubuntu installation?

Comment

Originally posted by lcharles View Post
        OK, I added the xenial backports Kubuntu ppa listed above which is where I believe the update for Kgpg to be. However when I do sudo apt-get update I get a list of 83 packages of 139 Mbytes that it wants to install. That doesn't seem like a good idea when all I want is Kgpg. Is is safe to install all of those updates; Will it break my Kubuntu installation?
        I would argue that installing a newer version of a program that is not supported by your base install doesn't seem like a good idea. So you understand the virtue of having an up-to-date KGPG but not an up-to-date OS?

It seems you have a few choices: stick to the version of KGPG you have, use something other than KGPG, or drag yourself kicking and screaming into 2017

Seriously, the backports are newer versions of many things you're using daily. Since you're still using 16.04, which is now a year and a half old, it's a fair bet that most bugs would have been discovered and worked out by now. Also - absent an actual poll - I suspect most people who stick with 16.04 for this long have added the backports ppa by now. KGPG isn't the only program that has benefited from post-April 2016 development.

Also, some perspective: I can't speak for your install, but my system has 3,026 packages installed and occupies 17.3 GB of drive space. The fact that only 83 packages/139 MB are needed to bring you up-to-date seems infinitesimal to me.

Finally, there is no way possible to predict if a problem will occur during any upgrade. That's why backups were invented. Upgrades are something we do (or should be doing) almost daily. Upgrades bring bug fixes, security patches, and new features. It's almost a certainty if you don't do upgrades, your system will eventually have issues. You might as well go forward.

Side note: When discussing package management "update" means to refresh your package list. The process of replacing a package with a newer version is an "upgrade". It's good practice to use the correct term, if known, when discussing technical issues. This reduces the chance of a miscommunication.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Dec 18, 2017, 07:04 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also note that this PPA and the updates there are official Kubuntu packages, and is the mechanism Kubuntu uses to provide software updates for the Plasma desktop side of things. Completely optional, of course.

The PPA contains point release updates for KDE's LTS release of Plamsa, so no surprises, just bug fixes and the like. Sometimes, these updates do make it into the official Kubuntu/Ubunutu LTS point releases, which explains why you "only" have 83 packages to update, taking a 138 megs. download.

https://kubuntu.org/news/plasma-5-8-...backports-ppa/

Comment

Thank you both for the information and explanations. My working experience with Linux up to now means I can work out some problems on my own but I occasionally break my system in stead of fixing it. This later experience over time has made me a bit more cautious. However you won me over.

I added the repository, the upgrade went fine and your advice was well taken.

Comment

Working...
            X