This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally Remove Nvidia Drivers?

I bought a new Nvidia display card and it did not work out for me.
    I did install what drivers I could find.

I have now removed the Nvidia card and wish to remove all the drivers, which still seem to be having effect.

Can someone tell me the terminal command for completely removing the Nvidia software/drivers?

Thanks
    G

Kubuntu 16.04 and Plasma 5
    Greg
    W9WD

From where, and how did you install, "what drivers I could find."?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think it was on the Nvidia site.
      Does it make a difference?
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Meaining you downloaded one or more .deb packages, and then installed them from the command line, yes? Are those .deb packages still in your Downloads folder?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nope
          I've been trying to delete as much of this as possible
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
            I think it was on the Nvidia site.
            Does it make a difference?
            yes it dose ,,,,,,,you nead to provide more info ,,,,,,like what kind of Nvidia card ,,,,whitch ver. of their driver (we have our own) ,,,what is the default(with out the Nvidia card) graphics device.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Think I'll try to figure out how to go back to 14.04
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

Think I'll try to figure out how to go back to 14.04
                IMO, that would be a bad choice. 16.04 is better, and systemd is in control.

I added the following repository to my /etc/apt/sources.list
                My Acer V3-771G has an NVidia GT 650M GPU and I use the nvidia 371 378 driver and its dependencies. I pinned all the packages so they could not be updated. (If it's not broke, don't fix it!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170611_203953.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	643532

You can see the file names that are installed. My NVidia card, although it is a secondary card which CANNOT be made primary in the BIOS, behaves as if it is the primary and runs the Plasma desktop from the login and every app I run. Minecraft 1.12 vanilla gives me FPS ranging from 130 to 500.

Purge your current installed nvidia, cuda and other GPU related packages, remove their entries in /etc/apt/sources.list. Add the ubuntu gpu repository and begin by usuing nvidia-378 and its dependencies. Reboot. If your nvidia isn't working try a more recent version, one step at a time, until it does.

OR, reinstall 16.04 to get a clean base installation, then add the repository shown above, then (sudo apt-get update) and install the 378 package. Once you find the package that works pin it and its dependencies.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 12, 2017, 01:46 PM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I pulled the Nvidia card a long time ago (just after I got it) A GEFORCE GT 610
                  But the effects of installing those drivers seems to linger.
                  Greg
                  W9WD

Comment

What does the output of
                    $ systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service
                    give you?

Mine gives:
                    Code:
                    [COLOR=#54FF54][B]●[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon[/COLOR]
                       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
                       Active: [COLOR=#54FF54][B]active (running)[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] since Mon 2017-06-12 09:32:39 CDT; 5h 16min ago[/COLOR]
                     Main PID: 1415 (nvidia-persiste)
                       CGroup: /system.slice/nvidia-persistenced.service
                               └─1415 /usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvidia-persistenced --no-persistence-mode --verbose

Jun 12 09:32:39 jerry-Aspire-V3-771 systemd[1]: Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon...
                    Jun 12 09:32:39 jerry-Aspire-V3-771 nvidia-persistenced[1415]: Verbose syslog connection opened
                    Jun 12 09:32:39 jerry-Aspire-V3-771 nvidia-persistenced[1415]: Now running with user ID 118 and group ID 127
                    Jun 12 09:32:39 jerry-Aspire-V3-771 systemd[1]: Started NVIDIA Persistence Daemon.
                    Jun 12 09:32:39 jerry-Aspire-V3-771 nvidia-persistenced[1415]: [COLOR=#000000][B]Started (1415)[/B][/COLOR]
                    Jun 12 09:32:39 jerry-Aspire-V3-771 nvidia-persistenced[1415]: device 0000:01:00.0 - registered
                    Jun 12 09:32:39 jerry-Aspire-V3-771 nvidia-persistenced[1415]: Local RPC service initialized
                    You should get nothing if everything is removed.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I pulled the Nvidia card a long time ago (just after I got it) A GEFORCE GT 610
                      But the effects of installing those drivers seems to linger.
                      <sigh> ---------- ok then ,,,,,,what dose
                      Code:
                      dpkg -l | grep nvidia
                      show .

AND ,,,, if (you never did say for sure) you installed from the Nvidia web site ,,,,did you run the uninstall routine ?? or just start deleting things ?

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

greg@greg-System-Product-Name:~$ systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service
                        ● nvidia-persistenced.service
                        Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
                        Active: inactive (dead)
                        greg@greg-System-Product-Name:~$
                        Greg
                        W9WD

Comment

greg@greg-System-Product-Name:~$ systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service
                          ● nvidia-persistenced.service
                          Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
                          Active: inactive (dead)
                          greg@greg-System-Product-Name:~$
                          Did you delete manually, instead of using APT or a package manager? Normally, when you uninstall, remove or purge a package it will disable the systemd service.

Issue in a Konsole:
                          sudo systemctl disable nvidia-persistenced.service
                          sudo systemctl masked nvidia-persistenced.service

Then, clean your repository archive:
                          sudo apt autoclean

The archive will be rebuilt the next time you use apt or apt-get.

I'd recommend using Discover, Muon or Synaptic to add or remove packages from the repositories until such time as you feel proficient in doing such tasks manually as root. Merely deleting directories a/o executable binaries is a method guaranteed to corrupt your system and your local archive, even if you installed them manually yourself. Under the "Origin" catagory in those package managers will be the list of packages you installed using Qapt in Dolphin, or dpkg from a CLI. You can delete them using the package manager.

Considering all the time you've used so far it would have been easier and much quicker to just re-install using a LiveUSB.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 12, 2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I did everything I could find using a Bing search.
                            As I recall the last thing was a terminal "purge nvidia" command I found on a website
                            Greg
                            W9WD

Comment

I did everything I could find using a Bing search.
                              As I recall the last thing was a terminal "purge nvidia" command I found on a website
                              The success of any particular command depends on the state of your system at the time you execute it. IF you've used several other commands with mixed or no success subsequent commands probably won't work either. Purging nvidia may not work if the nvidia files are in a broken condition because of previous commands used. If, for example, you delete one or more nvidia files manually and then later try "purge nvidia" there is no guarantee of success. This is how many dependencies get left behind, libraries which "think" that nvidia is still installed and they continue to attempt to do what they were designed to do when called by sddm, or whatever.

General rule of thumb: stick with repositories. Use a package manager.

Comment

Working...
                              X