X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reset update sources

Hi

I can see that my office PC using 16.04 doesn't do the same updates as my home PC also with 16.04.
    For instance I don't get the notifications for Firefox updates...

How can I "reset" my sources list, or at least make it equal to my home PC (if possible)?

Thanks

Do you have Muon Package Manager installed on both PCs?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Do you have Muon Package Manager installed on both PCs?
      Hi

No, I use Discover.

Comment

Discover, as you may already have 'discovered', is not a package 'manager', and like many of us believe, is sorely lacking.

Open a konsole and install Muon Package Manager:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install muon

Once installed, launch Muon Package Manager and click on Settings > Configure Software Sources. Look at each Tab and note what is checked. Compare those settings to your other PC to see what is different.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

the sources are located at ,,,,, /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d (a folder with added sources) all are text files and can be printed and compared to find the discrepancies.

,,,,,,,,,just to add to what @Snowhog has already stated ,,,,,,,,and I agree ,,,Discover is NOT a package manager or a good tool for source management,,,,,,,,,,,,,it was meant just to introduce NEW users to the most popular applications.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Guys

Yeah, the system automatically removed Muon and installed Discovery.
            I will install Muon again and check it.
            Thanks

Comment

Discover is NOT a package manager or a good tool for source management
              As much as i dislike the flow of how package management works in discover it infact does work just fine as a package manager. The selection of packages shown (i.e only gui ones) is because of the lack of metadata for most cli programs (iirc) .
              you can change the sources also in discover. Open it and click on settings on the left side .. it opens up the source editor directly in discover. (unlike muon that opens in a new seperate program)
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by larbac View Post
                No, I use Discover.
                I don't know if Discover is the culprit, but I've seen reports of flakiness with the updates notification mechanism. For me it came and went with 16.04 and now on 16.10 the notifier seems correct but when I click on it Discover often says there's no updates. I just use the command line
                Code:
                sudo apt update 
                sudo apt full-upgrade
                to sort things out. If you suspect an install has any problems I suggest running those.

On a 16.04 Lubuntu system I support just yesterday I found a screw up that the GUI was not reporting. I didn't understand it but I ran the above and apt told me what to do, and hundreds of updates were released.

John Little
                Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 16, 2017, 08:28 PM.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                X