This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox no open apt-url and xgd-url

hello someone can help me... i have kubuntu 16.04 firefox 51 and i can't open apt and xdg ,
    excuse my english...
    thanks...

nobody knows

Comment

Please be more specific. Exactly what are you doing in Firefox, and what results are you getting; error messages?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sorry but my english is bad, i want handler software from ubuntu links pages ...firefox alert window unknown protocol !!!!

Comment

Assuming you are using Firefox provided by Kubuntu; you must have the package apturl and it's depends installed.

Then the first time you click on a url requiring apturl, you should see this:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170210_082751.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	643446

Then make sure you check the "Remember..." box here:

Name:	Screenshot_20170210_082951.jpg
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	643447

Then you should see this in Preferences > Applications:

Name:	Screenshot_20170210_083041.jpg
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	643448

Please Read Me

Comment

The OP has a point here though IMHO - If Firefox is the Kubuntu default web browser, and AptURL is the underlying OS's way to handle that file-type, shouldn't Firefox be already set OOTB to do this?
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
              The OP has a point here though IMHO - If Firefox is the Kubuntu default web browser, and AptURL is the underlying OS's way to handle that file-type, shouldn't Firefox be already set OOTB to do this?
              Seems you're discussing bug vs. solution, but maybe Kubuntu doesn't package Firefox, just include it. Then I would assume that not every distro handles apturl the same so preconfiguring would be a failure. So whether or not you're correct would depend on the path Firefox takes to get to Kubuntu. I think Firefox is not a QT program so I doubt KDE devs are digging into it much. Odd though, that it's installed by default at all. Probably due to it's popularity.

I'm using KDEneon which is rather lean at install and apturl wasn't even in my install until I added it for the above exercise. I've been using KDEneon for 6-8 months and haven't yet needed this functionality so there you go. Of course, it applies that I don't use Firefox either. I'm weaning myself off of Chromium to use Vivaldi instead.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Seems you're discussing bug vs. solution, but maybe Kubuntu doesn't package Firefox, just include it.
                I suspect this is the case. It's my view though that the functionality should work OOTB for Firefox handling the default protocol for installing an app via HTTP. For a few reasons:

1) Ubuntu supports it via it's app stores, launchpad, etc.
                2) Other prominent sites do as well (getdeb.net and playdeb.net, for example)
                3) Even to download Google Chrome means clicking on a .deb file via the browser

This has long been a niggle to me regarding Kubuntu. Sane defaults need to be exactly that. Sane. This issue has been around for literally ages and the reason it persists is easy to figure out. It's because the Dev team is too small to deal with it, and Firefox updates constantly, which means any customization / tweaks need addressed on a regular basis. Further, Ubuntu already modifies stock Firefox to it's purposes, which may well complicate the Kubuntu Dev's ability to customize it further, possible having to un-do some of the Ubuntu modifications in the first place.

I think Firefox is not a QT program so I doubt KDE devs are digging into it much
                Yepp and this fact definitely doesn't help things much. Although with Unity moving to Qt it should, in theory, be less of an issue going forward, at least in terms of aesthetics, if not function? We'll see.

I'm using KDEneon which is rather lean at install and apturl wasn't even in my install until I added it for the above exercise.
                Right. Understandable because KDE Neon does not position itself as a distribution. It's base KDE on an Ubuntu LTS base. It's further assumed that if you run Neon you likely are a frequent purveyor of the CLI, which means this niggle shouldn't really be a factor for you, as you stated. My point is always from a marketing or new-user perspective. The fact that there are frequent issues with Firefox integration that again go way way back (here's a post I made in 2009, for example) that prove there have always been stumbling blocks using Firefox properly in a KDE environment. This is not a "good thing"® from a new user-perspective. From the OP's perspective, it's just a papercut easily avoided by installing a program to handle it and tweaking Firefox to use said program.

I'm weaning myself off of Chromium to use Vivaldi instead.
                I've tried them all, and still come back to Firefox for it's philosophies as well as extensions. But this is Linux, and we all have choices and preferences

//Edit for typo
                Last edited by dequire; Feb 10, 2017, 10:56 AM.
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                  I've tried them all, and still come back to Firefox for it's philosophies as well as extensions. But this is Linux, and we all have choices and preferences
                  D@#n Straight!

Your comments do reflect one of the difficulties of newer users coming to Linux and a common complaint - lack of conformity. We love our choices and the flexibility of the Linux ecosystem, but then there are things like this that - and I should have stated before, I totally agree with you - should have been handled long ago. I've been using Linux since 1998 or so and daily for over a decade. It's still a chore when you switch distros to one that's philosophically different from where you came. Many don't even use the same folder structure that Ubuntu does. You would think that core things like that would have been hammered out long ago. I think that's what's kept me with Kubuntu since 2009. I know it's insides pretty well by now.

You and I handle these sorts of things well enough that they'e generally not even noticed. But people trying to convert have a steep learning curve. This is what - IMO - keeps Linux back from taking over more of the desktop space.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    You and I handle these sorts of things well enough that they'e generally not even noticed. But people trying to convert have a steep learning curve. This is what - IMO - keeps Linux back from taking over more of the desktop space.
                    We are in agreement 1,000% on this. I got into Linux as a hobby and curiosity, then fell in love with it. So I, like you and millions of others, suffered through the learning curve and crashes and hard-locks due to video drivers and the nightmare that used to be wireless and toiling through the first 50 hits on Google searches for "help my panel dissapeared" and countless other little and not so little things. Was it all worth it? Ohhhhhhh hell yes. That's why we want to make the joys of Free Software available to everyone as easily as possible. When there are seemingly weekly posts here, for example, of not being able to make a working USB boot device from an ISO using the program supplied on said ISO for just that purpose, or not getting email to work with the included email app, or the issue with the OP, we have to question whether we are doing things as best we could be for our future fellow Kubuntu-ers. There's always room for improvement.
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

With the last update, mozilla-kde-support 0.6.4+p9+git20170212.0246-0 Leszek Lesner (2017-02-16) it works!!!! ... at last everything is fine
                      thank you very much..

Comment

mozilla-kde-support 0.6.4+p9+git20170212.0246-0 not save pag. only html.

Comment

Working...
                        X