This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading To Plasma 5.9

Hello everyone I was wondering how would I get the latest version of Plasma 5.9 I currently have Kubuntu 16.04, Plasma 5.5.8, QT version 5.61, kernel 4.4.0-62 generic

I wanted to upgrade to the latest with out breaking anything which would be 5.9

What is the best way to install KDE Plasma 5.9 do it the same way I would install a Ubuntu distribution?

Thanks so much
    Last edited by Robgoss; Feb 06, 2017, 05:50 AM.

Honestly, if you're interested in the fastest updates to Plasma and the like, you might consider trying KDEneon instead of Kubuntu. It's a Kubuntu 16.04 base but has much quicker releases of the DE software and it's rock solid IMO.

I'm currently on Plasma 5.9.2, KDE Frameworks 5.31.0, QT version 5.7.1, kernel 4.8.0-32 generic.

Although the kernel version is irrelevant because you can install 4.8 now just by doing it implicitly. The normal upgrading won't draw it in, but apt-get install linux-image-4.8.0-32-generic will.

Unfortunately, many users have had problems when attempt the changeover to KDEneon by just adding the PPA's to a Kubuntu install so you safest path would be a new install of KDEneon. Also know that KDEneon is a "lean" default install so there will be some stuff missing you'll have to install along the way.

Please Read Me

Comment

I second what oshuluver said. I initially tried the PPA upgrade on 14.04 and was less than impressed. So I went for the full install of KDE Neon User Edition. It has become the BEST "distro" I have ever used.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X