X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMail issue after recent system upgrade

Ref: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ce-Not-Running

Thanks! helped me on my 14.04 installation as well.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 22, 2016, 03:06 PM.

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
    Just out of my curiosity, I checked to see if such directory exist in my 16.04 installation. It was not. Should this be created in 16.04 too, despite Kontact & kmail working fine so far without?
    No. Remember the old axiom, "If it ain''t broken don't fix it!"
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you GG!

Comment

Hello folks:
        Everything was working well in my 16.04 installation till this a.m. Had a bunch of update-upgrade after that kmail in kontact has become non responsive w/o any error message. "akonadictl start" says its running. Do not know what is going on. Anyone has any solutions or ideas?
        Thanks!

Edited later. This is in my 16.04 installation. Sorry for posting here I just followed my above post.
        Last edited by marco07; Nov 22, 2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Did you check your account settings to see if the update changed your ports, or your smtp or pop links, or your password conditions, etc... ?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Did you check your account settings to see if the update changed your ports, or your smtp or pop links, or your password conditions, etc... ?
            Unfortunately I did not. But now I do not have access to the account settings. The kontact opens up with calendar and the "settings" on menu bar does not include "config kmail" and from "config kontact" on the menu bar,there is no access to kmail settings. I believe my account settings may be OK, because I do get email arrival announcement on my desktop panel as they arrive.Right now everything in kontact works as usual except kmail being non-responsive.
            Thanks!

Comment

Try pingu"'s response:
              http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-772271-print/

Comment

Well, pingu's method, I thought, may not be applicable to kubuntu. when I tried to find kmailrc, it was not as where given by him. I located kmailrc in kubuntu in some deep directories and when i opened it there were no settings at all. So, I became somewhat apprehensive trying his somewhat confusing method and decided not to do it. The reason was that when I tried the command line "kmail" in konsul nothing happened and no error message was produced at all. So I figured that something must be missing. Here is a list of what I did then:
                -- sudo apt remove --purge kmail, then
                --Run bleachbit in both root and user runs
                --sudo apt autoremove, to make sure all is clean
                --Reboot
                --sudo apt install kmail
                --started kontact
                -- clicked on kmail on the left panel
                BINGOOOOO! kmail appeard nicely and made my day.
                Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                  --Run bleachbit in both root and user runs
                  I'm curious. Could you explain that step a little more.

Comment

Bleachbit is in the repository and is a system and disk (free space) cleaning tool. When you install from repository, the in k>app>system you note the titles of "Unnecessary file cleaner" 2 times. One is running the app with root permission and the other as user. they differ from each other some what depending on what one needs to clean. Here is what i selected in each run, first as root then as user:

As root:

APT -- all
                    deep Scan--None
                    KDE -- None!
                    System:
                    All except memory and tmp files

As User:

APT -- all
                    Bash -- history
                    Deep Scan--None
                    Firefox -- All except backup files, cookies and passwords
                    Flash -- cache, cookies
                    KDE -- cache, recent docs. NOT tmp files
                    Konqueror--all
                    Libre office -- everything
                    Skype -- chat logs

System --
                    Broken desktop files, Cache, Clipboard, Custom, Recent documents list,
                    Rotated logs, Temporary files NOT, Trash
                    VLC media player -- most recently used
                    X11 -- all

Hope this explains.

Comment

Thanks! I had heard about it (Hillary wiping he HDs and other articles) but never used it. Thought it was just for randomizing an entire drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X