This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clipboard

I have been using Kubuntu for some 2 months now and like it. I've noticed that the clipboars has a tendency to place in it, what you have been tiping. I feel this introduces insecurities - imagine logging into sites that require passwords. These stay on the clipboard. Is there a way to "switch off" the clip board so it does not automatically do this?

Right click on the system tray icon for the clipboard and choose clipboard settings. Adjust the way you like it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GreyGeek, Thank you for your reply. I looked into this as suggested. What I am trying to accomplish is to invoke (if there is) a command or prompt so that the clipboard is not engaged or to be able to switch it off. I found how to erase the contents of the clipboard but this isnt what I want to accomplish. Any ideas? You see if you use Kubuntu and visit a site where you have to login, like a bank, you will notice the tendency of the clipboard to copy what you have written onto it - plain as daylight. Surely this isn't safe. Have you come across this and found a way to stop it ?

Comment

KDE Forums - Option to Remove or permanently disable the Clipboard? : https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=136178
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi Rog131, Thank you for the tip. I looked at the topic you referred me to and there it was ! Now I have removed the clipboard as I wanted. Than you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Quispe View Post
            You see if you use Kubuntu and visit a site where you have to login, like a bank, you will notice the tendency of the clipboard to copy what you have written onto it - plain as daylight. Surely this isn't safe. Have you come across this and found a way to stop it ?
            I have never seen anything I type into a text box (or anywhere else) just show up in the clipboard .

now what you copy and paste ,,,yes it go's through the clipboard.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No way, I could not live without the clipboard, one of the handiest inventions ever! My password manager (KeepassX) is set to automatically remove any passwords placed on the clipboard after 15 seconds (or whatever number of seconds you wish).
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                No way, I could not live without the clipboard, one of the handiest inventions ever! My password manager (KeepassX) is set to automatically remove any passwords placed on the clipboard after 15 seconds (or whatever number of seconds you wish).
                Hi Rod, I use keepass as well but didnt know you could command it to remove any passwords types after a certain time. Can you point me to where I can read up on this? Thanks

Comment

Well, I use KeepassX an open source app that is compatible with Keepass databases (the latest version is supposed to be able to work with Keepass v2 databases but I'm still using the older 0.4.3 version).

This is the relevant screenshot of the Security Settings in KeepassX:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	KeepassX Security Settings.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	643322

I'm sure there is a similar setting in Keepass.
                  Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
                  Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Working...
                  X