This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added new user, desktop nuked

I added a new user to my system via kuser and when I rebooted to try logging in, no desktop was present for the new user, only a wallpaper. I logged out and tried logging into my main account and have the same problem there too. Wallpaper is present, but thats it. Network isnt working either... Any help would be much appreciated.

Ended up reinstalling. No idea what happened there but I think Ill be making new user accounts through the command line from now on.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me to take a current snapshot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, do it now. And make sure it includes important parts of your system outside your home directory. I spent the last hour setting up Apache virtual host files for a dozen different sites because I had forgot to include them in my backup. Not fun...

Comment

Using btrfs so snapshots preserve everything. I snapshot my home and install weekly or so.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            I added a new user to my system via kuser and when I rebooted to try logging in, no desktop was present for the new user, only a wallpaper. I logged out and tried logging into my main account and have the same problem there too. Wallpaper is present, but thats it. Network isnt working either... Any help would be much appreciated.
            What Kubuntu version are you using? Since kuser is still in Kubuntu (Kubuntu Staging), I would definitely try to file a bug if possible - it's a pretty often used application, for obvious reasons.
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I can relate because I provided a lappy for my former lab assistant a few years ago that was my fiddle around machine and when I added her as a user it nuked the thing.

It was Kubuntu from several versions ago.

woodsmoke

Comment

mmmm.... I think I'll add a new user just to test. IF it borks my logins then I'll just switch to Neon for grins and giggles.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  mmmm.... I think I'll add a new user just to test. IF it borks my logins then I'll just switch to Neon for grins and giggles.
                  Such a rebel and hell raiser!
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Did you survive GreyGeek?

Comment

Did you survive GreyGeek?

Yes, I am still here, alive and kicking.

My testuser account isn't doing so well though.

In my account I used Kuser to add testuser with a password of test. I logged out to the login screen, but attempting to log into testuser's account with the 'test' password failed, so I logged back into my account and changed the password to 'tester'. Six characters instead of four. THEN, I could log into testuser's account. My first attempt to use Ksystemlog caused the dialog to lock up when I entered 'tester'. I killed it with the skull and crossbones and tried again with my password. It locked up again. I rebooted and logged in as testuser using 'tester'. When the working desktop appeared I was immediately hit with two gui dialog requests for a password: both failed to recognize testuser's password, because testuser was not in the sudouser's file, so I used mine. The first involved trying to connect to my printer, and the second required me to again use MY password in order to have the networking system activate the wired and wireless connections. I used Dolphin as root to browse testuser's home account. and saved some logs for a later autopsy.

I just used Kuser to delete testuser's account, folder and mailbox. Using Dolphin as root I noticed that it has been cleanly removed.

But, I went ahead anyway and installed Neon as a guest OS using VirtualBox and it is running full screen beautifully with 2 cores and 4GB of RAM into a 100GB dynamic VDI. I must say that the version of Discover in Neon (using yesterday's release) is much better than that in 16.04. There are more pkg offerings and ALL of them have icons associated with them. Someone did a LOT of graphical work! It seems to work faster, too, but that could be because it's a fresh install and rather light. After populating it with my standard apps its services may take up more time and slow things down.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

So kuser is a mess. So...do we really have a stable release of Kubuntu without a GUI way to add a new user? If so, thats a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me...

Comment

So kuser is a mess. So...do we really have a stable release of Kubuntu without a GUI way to add a new user? If so, thats a pretty sad state of affairs if you ask me...
                          Actually, I did use the GUI of kuser, not the CLI. After logging into testuser, I was required to use MY account password twice: once to connect to the printer and once again to connect to the networking, otherwise the dialog hung. Is that normal? The testuser desktop appeared to work normally and was pretty quick. I wasn't aware that a password less than six characters would be accepted during the account creation but not during the login, and, I was rather surprised that I needed MY account password to connect to the printer and networking. Using the GUI Kuser to delete testuser worked perfectly.

The big winner in all of this is Neon. It runs MUCH better as a VB guest on my box than it does installed on top of Xenial. I installed the Developers Stable Edition. Although 16.04 fully updated is running very well on my hardware, Neon has so much more to offer I am seriously considering replacing 16.04 with Neon.
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 26, 2016, 09:10 PM.

Comment

OMG!!!

The Great Grayness is running.....

2 cores and 4 gigs of RAM
                            The old woodsmoker has.....surpassed the Great Grayness!! :0

six ( 6 ) cores and 16 gig of RAM!! :0

However, more to the point, my "futuristic sci-fi wide screen wall t.v. is running on the same machine except as an AMD and in ....THIS CASE!! snicker, snicker! lol

I'm amazed at the "antique" machines that Neon will run on! Now, DOES struggle with Plasma Media Centre, slide show wallpapers and GIMP all running at the same time! lol

Will wunnners never cease!

woodjustkiddingmyman!smoke!
                            Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 26, 2016, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Wow! That tower has the same side window and blue lights that the last box I built from parts more than 15 years ago had! Looked cool. The power supply burned 500 watts. Add the watts from the Sony Triniton monitor, the 9 pin printer and the Zoom modem and I was burning $30/mo in electricity. Now, my laptop and peripherals burns $1.50/mo.
                              BTW, my laptop has 4 core and 8GB of RAM. I just used half of it for the Neon guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X