X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miro Player Installation

Hello,
    I am having trouble installing Miro Player on a couple of Kubuntu 16.04 systems. Both are on 64 bit hardware - a
    WIP primary OS install and the virtualbox installation on Windows. (With the windows version I can't sloppily comment out python freezes without compiling)
    There don't seem to be any working PPAs for Xenial and changing the version request for the PPAs to wily with I'm lucky results in dependency problems.

There are a few different ways to install and sources to use for installation each with its own error messages so instead of posting all them
    first I'll ask: Has anyone successfully installed Miro Player on Xenial? and : Does anyone have any hunches on how that I should try?

A few tutorials out there just say to add the official repopacf/miro-releases and then do the apt update and install but that's not working for me in Kubuntu.
    Package not available, no installation candidate.
    Code:
    Verbatim: Package miro is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'miro' has no installation candidate

Any help is appreciated and let me know if there is additional relevant information that I could post.

Miro Player was last updated in 2013 and is only supported for Ubuntu up through Quantal (12.04).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Miro Player was last updated in 2013 and is only supported for Ubuntu up through Quantal (12.04).
      Yes. It works well enough on Wily. I'm looking for community support if anyone can offer it (hopefully I used the right subforum...)

Comment

Originally posted by McGinS View Post
        Yes. It works well enough on Wily. I'm looking for community support if anyone can offer it (hopefully I used the right subforum...)
        Nope. Wrong subforum, wrong forum. Miro isn't updated any more because its sources of media content have, for the most part, been blocked. I used to use it back in 2009 with 9.04 but even then I was noticing links disappearing, or the only ones available were foreign outlets without English subtitles.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well youtube is still there and this is the only program I've found that will download subscriptions latest uploads during my nightly unmetered bandwidth period.
          The software worked in 15.10, and in 16.04, upgrade script nuked it* it's gone and apparently runs fine in Ubuntu, but not Kubuntu with the same repos, so you could see why I thought it made sense to post here. *admittedly that stage might be a Canonical issue.

Comment

Are you downloading YouTube videos you think will be deleted because of censorship?
            If not, why not just watch them using FF?
            I canceled my Google account because of their adoption of censorship and all the accounts I used to subscribe to I keep in a bookmark folder linked to the video listing page. When I click on a link the newest videos appear in the upper right corner. It takes only an instant to determine if I've seen it or not. If not, I watch it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Are you downloading YouTube videos....
              *SNIP*
              Time-of-use-sensitive bandwidth cap. Everything DL'd between certain wee hours of the night does not count toward the bandwidth cap.

Anyway, I'll just use a VM and try gathering what I need to compile from source when I get some time. Thanks.

For reference: Someone looks to be maintaining the package on OpenSUSE ; including on the off chance anything is applicable/they've made source fixes not committed to the PCF git

Comment

You can also explore Youtube-dl. It's a command-line application that is super-powerful, and among other things allows you to download playlists by day. For example, you can specify "only download new episodes / videos that are newer that yesterday" and other powerful criteria. I've found that most channels on Youtube arrange video content by playlist, so this seems to work for me for the most use-cases. You could even write scripts that automatically run via cron in the middle of the night to check for new content.

See the documentation for use of date switches, ex:
                --date DATE Download only videos uploaded in this date
                --datebefore DATE Download only videos uploaded on or before this date (i.e. inclusive)
                --dateafter DATE Download only videos uploaded on or after this date (i.e. inclusive)
                Link to above: https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/bl...ideo-selection
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X