ASUS CM5570 - AP002
    Intel Pentium Processor E5300
    ASUS NVidia GeForce GT 610 with 2GB DDR3
    6 GB System Ram
    3 Western Digital HDs internal
    1 Optical Drive internal
    Kubuntu 12.04 32-bit
    KDE Platform Version 4.8.5

My printers are shared from the host via internet printing protocol. They have worked perfectly and I have been able to print from all applications including KMail until Kubuntu 15.10.
    I will correct my 1st post. The issue with KMail started with Kubuntu 15.10. I was able to print from KMail in Kubuntu 15.04, but printing was slower.

I was not able to change or add printers via the default KDE printer applet in System settings.
    This was my attempt to resolve this:
    I installed two packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-gnome
    System Config Printer did not have a menu item, so I had to type system-config-printer from the command line and run from there.
    I right clicked my printer and selected properties.
    I changed the Device URI from implicitclass:DESKJET-722C to ipp://[my server IP address:631 here]/printers/DESKJET-722C
    The Make and Model changed from Local Raw Printer to Remote Printer
    This printer now shows in KMail as the default printer, and I can print without issues

Since System Config Printer did not have a menu item I had to create one following this as a guide:
    KDE4 How-to Create Application Launcher on KDE Main Menu

Here are the other printer references I used to solve this issue:
    NetworkPrintingWithUbuntu
    Trusty (14.04) System-Config-Printer-KDE Missing, Can't Configure Printers

The problem here is the printer settings are not save when I logout or shutdown.

Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas where I should go from here?
    sigpic

No issues here, but I'm also using the HP-SYSTRAY. However, the printer shows up in both the HP systray and in the regular systray printer icon. Maybe the HP installer did it for me?

Please Read Me

Comment

I have always had success using the CUPS web GUI in those cases where installing in Linux wasn't a one-click affair. It kind of cuts out the middle-man so to speak, and I've found it a much easier way to both add and manage printers, as well as managing network-based print jobs. You can also set sharing attributes quite easily. See: https://www.linux.com/blog/add-print...ps-web-utility.

Just a side note, even though your print server is technically supported until April of next year, that date will be fast approaching and you may want to consider an upgrade. Especially since KDE 4 is getting pretty long in the tooth.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I've always used the CUPS web GUI before, but recent additions of Kubuntu have auto mapped the printers. I prefer to map my own printers and that auto mapping not take place at all. I tried the CUPS web GUI, but the print jobs kept failing in the queue.

I'd like to turn off the auto printer mapping if possible.

This is what the auto mapped printers look like.
        Code:
        Description:	HP DeskJet 722C @ life0riley-desktop
        Driver:	        Local Raw Printer (grayscale, 2-sided printing)
        Connection:	implicitclass:DESKJET_720C
        Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=unknown 

Description:	hp photosmart 7150 @ life0riley-desktop
        Connection:	implicitclass:photosmart-7150

Description:	Hewlett-Packard PSC 750 @ life0riley-desktop
        Connection:	implicitclass:PSC-750
        I can't modify or delete the printers from cups (http://localhost:631/) or from System Settings --> Printers
        Actually, as soon as I remove a printer in System Settings --> Printers it is immediately mapped again.

I haven't had this issue in other distributions. I manually map my printers in other distributions using either the CUPS web GUI or system-config-printer. In Xubuntu 16.04 the printers were auto mapped, but I didn't have issues with print jobs failing in the print queue, so there was no need to manually map a printer.

About the side note...
        I agree. It's time to update my print server from Kubuntu 12.04. Unfortunately my hardware is getting aged and was going to hold out until the last minute to do that since it is no longer my primary desktop. I might not have that luxury. I have a processor fan that is noisy sometimes at spin up, and a BIOS issue that could be related to the system board CMOS battery. If I'm forced to upgrade my hardware, I'll start with a newer, current, longer supported OS.
        sigpic

Comment

You would have to delete them from the server. Localhost gets the printers from the server. Looks to me like your server setup is the problem. Try:

http://<SERVERIP>:631/

and see what you have there.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            You would have to delete them from the server. Localhost gets the printers from the server. Looks to me like your server setup is the problem. Try:

http://<SERVERIP>:631/

and see what you have there.
            This is the CUPS web GUI. I see the printers on my print server as they are attached to my print server.
            I don't want to delete them from my print server though. I just want to map to them from my other workstation.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X