This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I solved the problem of Kubuntu not working on my bank's web page

I was annoyed. The reason to use a Linux OS is for better online security. My bank's web page would open with Kubuntu and Firefox, Chrome, and others, but I did not have all the functionality. Specifically, I could not use the deposit a check feature. It kept complaining that I had the wrong version of Java. You would expect any feature on a web page to work with the GNU free version of Java that Ubuntu and variants come with. Nope. My bank's web page refused to work with Kubuntu. I kept having to use my Windows machine to make deposits. I toyed around with replacing my Java with the Oracle version, but I found a much simpler solution. I installed the User Agent Switcher plugin to Firefox. Before going to my bank's web site, I had the plugin report that I was using Internet Explorer 8 with Windows 7. Voilà! All of a sudden the deposit feature worked just fine. I tested it with a $2 money order that I got at Walmart. I wanted to make sure it worked before trying it with any high-dollar check. It worked great. I did worry that it was going to complain that my "IE 8" was too old, but it worked. I was surprised that User Agent Switcher doesn't report later versions of browsers, but I'm happy it works. When I logged into my Yahoo email account, Yahoo defaulted to a very old version of the email app, saying that IE 8 doesn't support the new version. So I leave this plugin disabled until I need to use it on my bank's web page.

This does show me that my bank could support Linux, Ubuntu and variants at the very least, with a modicum of effort. Their script was simply detecting the OS and refusing to let that feature work if it detected something other than Windows or Mac.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

My bank had the "Don't support Linux" attitude too, and I solved it the same way. That was several years ago.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's infuriating. I understand why they don't proclaim Linux support, but why would they break it for no reason?
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        My bank had the "Don't support Linux" attitude too, and I solved it the same way. That was several years ago.
        What did you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
          What did you do?
          Same as you. Set my FF to report it is IE on Windows.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Same as you. Set my FF to report it is IE on Windows.
            I was expecting you to say you changed banks!
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
              I was expecting you to say you changed banks!
              Na, it's a great bank and I've been using it for 15+years (Cornhuskerbank). Perhaps their IT department is too MS centric.

Comment

Perhaps their IT department is too MS centric.
                That my dear Sir, is an understatement of epic proportions.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Na, it's a great bank and I've been using it for 15+years (Cornhuskerbank). Perhaps their IT department is too MS centric.
                  I almost forgot you're a fellow Cornhusker. Me too. I'm a Cornhusker recently returned home from Idaho. Man, I missed it. My bank is USAA Federal Savings. They're also a a great bank. Poor Linux support is one of very few complaints. I am going to contact their IT department via an old fashioned snail mail letter. They take those kind more seriously than emails.

Comment

Working...
                  X