This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appearance of desktop icons

I copied several of my "Application launcher" icons to the Desktop, and they appear in white or light gray rectangles that I find fairly ugly. Digging through System Settings / Appearance / Icons I have not found how to get rid of these rectangles. Any suggestions are welcome.

Edit: I'm still using the default "Plasma 5" icon theme, "Breeze."
    Last edited by werdigo49; Sep 01, 2016, 07:22 AM. Reason: Add info about icon theme
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

What is happening is that dragging the icon to the desktop is actually creating a plasma widget (just as it does in KDE 4's Plasma). The Plasma theme used dictates the look of this "box" you see, not the icon theme.

You can change your desktop settings from using the default "Desktop" layout to the classic "Folder View" that allows folders and files on your desktop, You won't have the boxes then.

Comment

Same for me when i want to make url link. I go to proprieties, put my own picture but nothing. Tried with system icons doesn't match either.
      is it the same as this ?
      http://pix.toile-libre.org/?img=1472682299.png
      Manage icons and desktop the way we like is one of the great stuff off kde. I wish we find out.
      It works with folders links. here some on my desktop

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        What is happening is that dragging the icon to the desktop is actually creating a plasma widget (just as it does in KDE 4's Plasma). The Plasma theme used dictates the look of this "box" you see, not the icon theme.

You can change your desktop settings from using the default "Desktop" layout to the classic "Folder View" that allows folders and files on your desktop, You won't have the boxes then.
        Thanks, claydoh. But although I've seen the option of "Folder view" many times in the past, I can't find it in this 16.04 Plasma installation. On my login screen, "Plasma" is offered with a downward arrow suggesting a dropdown menu, but it is empty.
        -- Werdigo49

Comment

Originally posted by werdigo49 View Post
          Thanks, claydoh. But although I've seen the option of "Folder view" many times in the past, I can't find it in this 16.04 Plasma installation. On my login screen, "Plasma" is offered with a downward arrow suggesting a dropdown menu, but it is empty.
          In normal Plasma, right click your desktop and select 'Configure Desktop'.

In the options you then get, under wallpaper, you can change the 'Layout' from 'Desktop' to 'Folder View'.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thank you, acheron! I would not have thought to look under "Wallpaper."
            -- Werdigo49

Comment

It would have been helpful if I'd not forgotten to attach screenshots

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

Did make sense at one point to have it there, when the tab/section was label 'View' rather than 'wallpaper'.

Now, not so much.......
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
                X