This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Calc

I cannot edit a header in a Calc document using version LibreOffice 5.1.4.2. Instead, the whole thing hangs and shimmers and I can't close it at all except using the emergency shutdown method. If I remember right, the document is a template created under the previous version of LO under Kubuntu 14.04. I was able to create several new documents using it. Now, however, the header option is unavailable and just hangs the system up. Any ideas?

Forgot to mention that I'm using 16.04.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 30, 2016, 04:28 PM.

Which area, left, middle, right?
    woodsmoke

Comment

It doesn't access any of the areas. As soon as I click on edit footers/headers, the whole screen image starts flickering and the program stops cold.

Comment

Why don't you link the file here (via a file hosting service, for example) and we can see if we can confirm your issue. If you don't want to publicly link the doc, send a private message to a few of us here on the forums with the link. I'm sure most of us would be happy to test it out for you. Also, you can install the latest L.O. yourself on 16.04 to see if the issue remains. See https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+...ibreoffice-5-2.

By the way, 5.2 is the latest (current) version of Libre Office.
        Last edited by dequire; Aug 31, 2016, 03:56 PM.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I will try installing the latest LO (5.2) tomorrow to see if that works first. I tried the document on Libre Office with Linux Mint 18 and there was no problem, so it's not a big deal in the end. It's just that when something doesn't work right, I'd like to know why. Perhaps I should have done a clean install instead of upgrading.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            ... Perhaps I should have done a clean install instead of upgrading.
            Always my first recommendation, especially when changing from Plasma4 to Plasma5, or changing to a different distro.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

When I tried to add the Libre Office 5.2 repository, I got the following error message:

aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for neon/xenial

I have installed Neon on top of Kubuntu. Does the message mean LO 5.2 is not ready for Neon yet? Still learning Konsole syntax.

Comment

I cannot edit a header in a Calc document using version LibreOffice 5.1.4.2. Instead, the whole thing hangs and shimmers and I can't close it at all except using the emergency shutdown method. If I remember right, the document is a template created under the previous version of LO under Kubuntu 14.04. I was able to create several new documents using it. Now, however, the header option is unavailable and just hangs the system up. Any ideas?

Forgot to mention that I'm using 16.04.
                It may be a problem with doing an upgrade and not a clean install. For grins and giggles I opened my 5.1.4.2 copy of LO and created a document. I added a header and put in some fields, including page number. It all worked as I remember it to work when I wrote my wife's 256 page family history book.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

When I tried to add the Libre Office 5.2 repository, I got the following error message:

aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for neon/xenial

I have installed Neon on top of Kubuntu. Does the message mean LO 5.2 is not ready for Neon yet? Still learning Konsole syntax.
                  I used the PPA that I linked you to earlier, albeit in a stock Neon install. So that me be the difference as to why 5.2 installed just fine for me. Keep in mind that some grizzly Linux veterans around here have installed Neon over Kubuntu 16.04, but "officially" it's not recommended or supported. This is likely due to the fact that stock Kubuntu is a few KDE Frameworks and Applications versions behind Kubuntu, and it stands to reason that as Qt version requirements get bumped in Neon, for example, there may be situations where Kubuntu won't allow the upgrade because of some other (Ubuntu)-based requirement that is not necessary in Neon.

See:

Can I turn Kubuntu into KDE neon with a PPA?

We recommend that you install a fresh KDE neon from the provided ISO images. But you can indeed add an APT repository to switch from Kubuntu to KDE neon. This is absolutely not tested or supported. If things take a turn for the worse you are expected to be knowledgable enough to repair your system on your own. A web search should quickly give you relevant information on how to do this.

Is KDE neon an add-on to Kubuntu?

KDE neon sits on top of the Ubuntu core foundations, which means the majority of software built for Ubuntu core will work fine, even when not explicitly supported by the KDE neon team. KDE neon is however not compatible with Kubuntu, as there is vast overlap in the base offerings of both Kubuntu and KDE neon. You can not use both systems at the same time. Installing KDE neon will simply replace Kubuntu.
                  * Source - KDE Neon FAQ
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                    .... Keep in mind that some grizzly Linux veterans around here have installed Neon over Kubuntu 16.04 ...
                    I resemble that remark!

And, I have muon set to only to upgrades to a newer version of a package, unless the downgrade comes from Neon's repository, like it did today.

The ONLY fault I currently have with my Kubuntu 16.04/Neon is that my mouse wheel behaves erratically when it comes to scrolling webpages on FireFox and directory listings on Dolphin. Other than that my "Neon" is running fantastically!

Comment

I also have neon installed on top of Kubuntu 16.04, but that's not the problem with my LO Calc spreadsheet--I had the problem originally on Kubuntu 16.04, and thought maybe the problem was in upgrading from 14.04 rather than cleanly installing. Since I don't need office software for much now than I'm retired from teaching, I may just erase the current Office and re-install the whole thing from Discovery (which doesn't always work very well on my Neon hybrid) to see if that does the trick. If not, I'll just use the Linux Mint version on my netbook to continue the template for the couple of more times I need to use it. After that, I'll probably never need a spreadsheet again. I just thought there might be an obvious reason why I can't go into headers, and since there's not, I'll take the lazy way out and leave it alone. Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

Comment

This is probably a totally wrong comment, but I just installed KDE Neon on bare metal on my about two year old 6 processor AMD.

As a test, I am using the "Dashboard" menu setting.

I got "tearing" with the provided Open GL 2.0

I got a "jitter" on the "whole" of the "Dashboard" using open GL 3.1

Using Xrender things are stable.

The "jitter" sounds kind of like your.... jitter / whatever in calc, probably NOT, but just thought I'd report what happened with me.

woodsmoke

Comment

Woodsmoke, you are a serendipitous genius. I had been using GL 3.1, then switched to GL 2.0, and still got no results. After reading your post, I switched to open x-rendering, and not only did it allow me to edit headers on LO Calc, but also has permitted me to run Universe Sandbox again without the thing crashing on me (or forcing me to use Windows 10, which I want to phase out completely by next year. Now the question is, what went wrong with GL 3.1 and 2.0? Is it incompatible with Neon? Apparently not, as GreyGeek seems to have no problem running LO or Universe Sandbox. Unlike Greygeek, I have installed Neon on an upgraded version of Kubuntu 16.04, not a fresh install. You have used a fresh install of Neon. So something in between sems to be responsible for my problems with both programs. At least now I won't have to start all over again by making a clean install of Kubuntu or Neon. Thank you for that. I'll mark this SOLVED, although the reason why it's solved isn't entirely clear to me.

Comment

LOL well serendipitous yes but genius ummm no! lol

They say that if you give a thousand chimpanzees a thousand typewriters they can eventually produce a three line greeting card!

Ok so you can maybe help the ol' woodsmoker!

In another thread I mentioned losing the "link to the cd" in Dolphin. Well, I guess that..... clicking open in new tab REMOVED THE MOUNT POINT for the device! It is even gone from Konqueror!

What is REALLY odd is that if I put a music cd in or a movie DVD in the drive then Dragon player is popped as an option to play it and it does play!

lol

but, hey, thanks again for the compliment, lol

woodembarrasedsmoke

Comment

Working...
                            X