This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Search

Just upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04 and I cannot find in Discover various packages I have used previously such as Kaffeine and a Skype client. I think I have enabled all the appropriate repositories but I am not sure. Not helped by the fact that the search function in Discover (which I am not impressed with) does not seem to work.

If anyone can indicate whether these packages are still available and where to find them, I will be grateful.

They are both there but, in my experience, Discover doesn't show them in a search. Install muon (sudo apt install muon) and then search for them again. You'll find them I just confirmed kaffeine is there and I have Skype installed.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I appologize to the developers in advance of this, but Discover is a crappy application. It simply doesn't do what a real package manager should. That said, I do understand that Discover isn't intended as a full-function package manager, but given that it is what gets installed by default, and a full-function package manager isn't, confusion becomes the "issue de jour".
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Unfortunately with the move to appstream there are still a lot of old packages mainly in Universe (such as kaffeine) that simply don't have the needed metadata included.

Kaffeine for example, which is not directly packages by Ubuntu or Kubuntu, goes back to 2012ish as it was basically a dead project and no one has gone in and added the metadata for it. Discover is a good program now hindered by poor or lacking implementation of appstream (which iirc affects other application-centric software centers, not just )

Skype has never been directly available in *buntu without enabling a repo or grabbing it directly from them.

sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Comment

My thanks to Greygeek, Muon has done the job. I will be using this in preference to Discover.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            I appologize to the developers in advance of this, but Discover is a crappy application.
            It is not up to scratch by a LONG way.

It's old and not KDE, but if I want a GUI package manager I use synaptic.

Muon is ok, and the efforts put into getting that resurrected and put into Xenial are nice, but I still prefer synaptic.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
              It is not up to scratch by a LONG way.

It's old and not KDE, but if I want a GUI package manager I use synaptic.

Muon is ok, and the efforts put into getting that resurrected and put into Xenial are nice, but I still prefer synaptic.
              Synaptic is good and I'll use it when push comes to shove, but I try to keep GTK+ code out of my installation as much as possible.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Synaptic is good and I'll use it when push comes to shove, but I try to keep GTK+ code out of my installation as much as possible.
                I love KDE, but if something GTK (or anything else) works better or I prefer it, I make the pragmatic choice.

That I can do that, is what makes linux/OS great.
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                  I love KDE, but if something GTK (or anything else) works better or I prefer it, I make the pragmatic choice.

That I can do that, is what makes linux/OS great.
                  Ditto, and DITTO!

Comment

[list][*]"Discover" has its place, but it's not a package manager. IMO it appears to fill its role, though I don't have much use for it. [*]l prefer muon to synaptic, particularly because it doesn't need root when it starts. I'm often checking out dependencies, versions, or installed files. It looks better, too, though synaptic has improved. [*]I use apt most often, if I know the package names.[/list ]

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                    X