This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notification bubble close icon not visible

This has been bugging me for a little while... ever since I have upgraded from 15.10 to 16.04, the close icon at the top right corner of all notification bubbles is not visible. I just see an empty circle (see attached screenshot). It doesn't have an X inside it. Presumably it is not meant to be empty, right? What does it look like? How can I bring it back?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Perhaps your upgrade didn't properly complete. In a Konsole:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudu apt-get -f install

Repeat those two commands until they report nothing
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Perhaps your upgrade didn't properly complete.
      I upgraded when 16.04 came out and had installed/removed stuff many many times in the mean time without any issues. Nevertheless, I ran the dpkg --configure -a command and nothing is reported.

Comment

Originally posted by kayvee View Post
        I upgraded when 16.04 came out and had installed/removed stuff many many times in the mean time without any issues. Nevertheless, I ran the dpkg --configure -a command and nothing is reported.
        Good! Then the next thing I'd do is reinstall the KDE desktop
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Good! Then the next thing I'd do is reinstall the KDE desktop
          Really?! I am apprehensive about doing something as drastic as reinstalling the entire KDE desktop that could potentially screw up other things. I was hoping that there is some icon cache that I could flush to correct this.

Comment

Are you dual booting? If not what's to screw up? Assuming you
            a) backed up your important data
            b) checksum'd the ISO after you downloaded it AND
            c) you used the verify option on the LiveDVD/USB
            you are only 15 minutes away from a fresh install. That is considerably LESS time than what you've spent on this problem so far.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 18, 2016, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Even if I reinstall KDE and not overwrite the settings I wonder if the issue will go away. And I don't want to go back to "factory settings" because over the years I have made minor changes here and there that I'd like to keep.
              If I were to go the reinstall route, what would you suggest doing; the following?
              Code:
               sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Plasma close button

The plasma close button is part of the plasma theme: https://techbase.kde.org/Development...5/ThemeDetails

/configuration-icons: it's a set of simple icons that are meant to be shortcuts for configuration actions (KDE 4.2 and later). Must contain the following elements:
                close: a close icon

If the plasma theme doesn't have the 'close' icon then the plasma will try to use the icon theme 'windows-close' icon:

If the icon theme doesn't have the 'windows-close' icon the plasma will show the bare button:

Something to try.

1) Clear the plasma cache and the icon cache (icon-cache.kcache).
                2) Try another plasma desktop theme.

KF5 cache files are at: https://specifications.freedesktop.o...ec-latest.html
                $XDG_CACHE_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific non-essential data files should be stored. If $XDG_CACHE_HOME is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.cache should be used.

Cleaning the plasma cache:

1) Open a flile manager to the cache directory
                2) Shut the plasmashell down:
                Code:
                kquitapp5 plasmashell
                3) Remove plasma* files and icon-cache.kcache from the cache directory
                4) Restart the plasmashell (Krunner):
                Code:
                plasmashell
                Last edited by Rog131; Aug 18, 2016, 10:58 AM.
                Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Working...
                X