This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN setup on Kubuntu

Have the info I need to setup vpnunlimited on Kubuntu, but downloading required network support programs fail. Has anyone setup vpn successfully? I have all the ovpn files if you would like to try.
    vpnunlimited has been very helpful, but they said that they are not ready with the complete software to support Linux.

I use HideMyAss VPN daily on my Kubuntu desktop, as well as on my Android phone when using public wi-fi. My account lets me use the VPN on two devices concurrently. There are lots of options out there, but this is the one I use and have for some time. A few quick notes - their Android app is all just click-and-go with plenty of options to get done what you want to get done. The Linux desktop support is done via CLI but it's really easy to do so I just run it and forget it. There are several scripts provided on the CLI side depending on what options you want to go with. All major protocols are supported (OpenVPN, PPTP and L2TP). See here for more details.

Also note that I could configure Plasma Network Manager to use the HMA service, and have set it up this way in the past. This will allow a one-click VPN connection via clicking on the wi-fi icon in the system tray. I do not currently use this method. So, in reality, there are 4 ways I can run my HMA VPN service on the desktop:

• Run one of the Linux scripts via terminal
    • Run the openVPN command from terminal using HMA's openVPN settings for the desired location, etc. (Provided online and via a downloadable zip file)
    • Configure Plasma-NM to use the HMA settings for the location and connection arguments I want
    • Configure Plasma-NM to use openVPN and my desired VPN's openVPN settings

Of all these, I prefer option 1, though YMMV. The only downside is that I have to keep a terminal open the whole time the VPN is in use. Not a biggie for me, however. Sorry if this doesn't directly help you, but maybe it will and maybe it can also help someone else looking at VPN options under Kubuntu.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

You followed the instructions here?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X