This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Flash prompt

On a freshly installed and updated Kubuntu 16.04 installation with back ports, one of the first commands I ran was sudo apt purge flashplugin-installer after which I was asked to install flash every time I logged in. I found this forum post and followed the advice. The notifications have stopped but is this a proper solution or am I just hiding an underlying problem?
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

It works but obviously you won't get future notifications for updates to restricted notifications; the "not free" variety or those of which the license is not GPL and thus can't be part of the automatic installation. NVidia also comes to mind, as well as some apps for which you have to agree to another type of license, like Microsoft's or the MIT licence.

Turning off the restricted notifications doesn't prevent the system from updating installed restricted apps, so the "update" & "dist-upgrade" still work for all installed packages.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 10, 2016, 06:52 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, I know. Ideally, I could leave it turned on and un-checking Flash wouldn't turn off the OK button which would stop the nagging. I was hoping there was something I could do to have that effect.
      If you're sitting wondering,
      Which Batman is the best,
      There's only one true answer my friend,
      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Working...
      X